SC engine removal

Ian Comerford

8 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

And a picture of the old, just failed starter and its replacement.  Quite a contrast

ACFDEC4E-F676-4BB0-94FE-114B706C8C0C.jpeg

What a difference in size! Do you know how much weight do you save with the replacement?

Do you need a lightweight clutch if most of your driving is fast road trips.  You're not a track day bunny Ian and what about sitting in those French traffic jams stalling it all the time ;)

On 20/10/2020 at 11:44, Nige said:

Is splitting the engine and gearbox the same on a G50?

I split my G50 with the engine and gearbox out of the car about 9 months ago..

You do need to pull out the pivot shaft for the fork mechanism to remove the gearbox but I have seen a video on youtube of someone reinstalling a G50 with the engine in the car. It may have been a partial drop. I will have a look in a second as my car is over the pit now so I can give you a more informed view

Peter

The interesting bit will come when it's apart, where, hopefully, there won’t be much wrong apart from the usual valve guides and similar stuff.  At that point I could insert some simple upgrades because the budget will allow it.  I’m not spending anything on cosmetics, I’m more bothered about internals so wonder, apart from the 964 cams and a bit of polishing, what else is worth doing?

On 26/11/2020 at 10:48, Nige said:

Do you need a lightweight clutch if most of your driving is fast road trips.  You're not a track day bunny Ian and what about sitting in those French traffic jams stalling it all the time ;)

I’d be interested in your view on this Lewis as I thought you found yours quite easy to live with in normal use?

I found LW clutch easy to live with on my 964 but then I think the remap helped which is not an option on your SC. At the end of the day you are going to have a fully restored car Ian, do you think you might regret not doing the engine bay cosmetics while you are in there?

12 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

At that point I could insert some simple upgrades because the budget will allow it.  I’m not spending anything on cosmetics, I’m more bothered about internals so wonder, apart from the 964 cams and a bit of polishing, what else is worth doing ? 

Let's hope your P's & C's are Ok 🤞

You replacing the rods bolts Ian ? 

Careful with the head polishing - it's possible to overdo it ;)

12 hours ago, GaryH said:

🤞

After my engine rebuild I'm really interested to see what they set your 964 static cam timing to 🤔 

Edited by GaryH

7 hours ago, Mondrian said:

I found LW clutch easy to live with on my 964 but then I think the remap helped which is not an option on your SC. At the end of the day you are going to have a fully restored car Ian, do you think you might regret not doing the engine bay cosmetics while you are in there?

I had thoughts about it but it’s not a garage queen, it gets used regularly and the engine is pretty good cosmetically.  I may just get the fan refurbished.

11 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

I’d be interested in your view on this Lewis as I thought you found yours quite easy to live with in normal use?

I have absolutely no regrets Ian and would the same thing again. 

Might be worth doing the clutch release fork whilst it’s apart too. Jonny had one fail on his car; for the sake of £175 you might as well change it whilst it’s accessible. 

2 hours ago, Northy said:

I have absolutely no regrets Ian and would the same thing again. 

Might be worth doing the clutch release fork whilst it’s apart too. Jonny had one fail on his car; for the sake of £175 you might as well change it whilst it’s accessible. 

100% do the clutch fork.   Engine had to come out again AND the clutch was damaged so another one required. 

Perhaps put a clutch release bearing on the list, they are currently only about £52 from Eurpcarparts at the moment and worth changing when you have the engine out.

I’ve just started cleaning up the gearbox and could do with recommendations from experience on any seals to change as an opportunity whilst the box is separated from the engine?  There is evidence of oil on the bell housing but I think most of it has come from the triangle of death.  However, the is slight evidence on the output flanges and I wonder if it’s possible to replace the seals without doing anything other than removing the flanges?  Grateful for any thoughts.  Other than that I will replace the fork, clean the outside and change the oil.

5 hours ago, waddy said:

Perhaps put a clutch release bearing on the list, they are currently only about £52 from Eurpcarparts at the moment and worth changing when you have the engine out.

Thanks Ian, makes sense so it’s in the list

If you’re cleaning the gearbox output flanges then you might as well fit a LSD / ATB while you’re there 😇

In more helpful mode, I’m planning on changing the gearshift linkage seal on mine

image.jpeg