SC engine removal

Ian Comerford

3 hours ago, Chris_911 said:

Was it a major or minor breach?

It depends upon your perspective, for her it was a major one

1 hour ago, Nige said:

He still has the ability to type so I guess nothing has been removed.

Only with one finger on each hand though 

Awake at 0100hrs this morning after three hours sleep.  Why?  My car is being collected between 0630-0645 to go to GCR where they will refit the engine and gearbox today.  I’m quite excited.  It's a great sign that I still love this car after 22 years......  Pictures to follow later today.

Edited by Ian Comerford
  • Like 2

It decided to snow on the way to GCR, glad I’ve got my winter tyres on.  You will note it’s quite shiny, which translates into “more cosmetics were done than we agreed”, happy though!  All being well I should get a call to collect tomorrow.  So no sleep tonight then....

DDA2EC31-BEE3-487E-B149-7E9497CEA389.jpeg

8EC39866-D189-440C-85BE-010156FBCE2C.jpeg

02D92D07-50AD-44AE-9C45-DC4ACE4448E7.jpeg

147ECC87-5404-4903-97F3-3A606E4B2CF4.jpeg

DCEB03A5-111D-4E8B-B581-AC7153DC2B37.jpeg

97B2925A-F912-4B9D-889A-CA2A0F3A4EDA.jpeg

• Like 1

I think so too.  Really looking forward to driving it though and noting the differences.  Having had the car for 22 years now there’s no doubt that, although it goes well enough, it will have been gradually/slowly getting tired in a way that won’t really have been noticeable over time.  New pistons/barrels, heads skimmed for a little more compression and 964 cams should be a noticeable improvement.  

Bear in mind that SC's (unlike 3.2's ;) as our old IB dyno days repeatedly proved) don't seem to lose power as they get older so any improvements you experience are almost certainly down the skimmed heads and 964 cams. 

Edited by GaryH

12 minutes ago, GaryH said:

Bear in mind that SC's (unlike 3.2's ;) as our old IB dyno days repeatedly proved) don't seem to lose power as they get older so any improvements you experience are almost certainly down the skimmed heads and 964 cams. 

Maybe the drivers right foot might get a bit heavier: mine certainly did...:001-17-revto9k:

4 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

It decided to snow on the way to GCR, glad I’ve got my winter tyres on.  You will note it’s quite shiny, which translates into “more cosmetics were done than we agreed”, happy though!  All being well I should get a call to collect tomorrow.  So no sleep tonight then....

DDA2EC31-BEE3-487E-B149-7E9497CEA389.jpeg

8EC39866-D189-440C-85BE-010156FBCE2C.jpeg

02D92D07-50AD-44AE-9C45-DC4ACE4448E7.jpeg

147ECC87-5404-4903-97F3-3A606E4B2CF4.jpeg

DCEB03A5-111D-4E8B-B581-AC7153DC2B37.jpeg

97B2925A-F912-4B9D-889A-CA2A0F3A4EDA.jpeg

Well it certainly looks better than when we dropped it out ! Nice to see in-tact tinware. I see the piece at the front has been replaced ? You really need to polish up those stainless steel SSI heat exchangers. They are letting the side down !

I thought your lack of sleep was due to the fact that you purchased your piston and liner set from Design 911 !!

Edited by carrpet

Ooooooh!

I'm sure that running in a rebuilt air cooled 911 motor counts as essential travel ! 🙂

Hope it delivers what you you are expecting, I'm sure it will be great ......... 

1 hour ago, waddy said:

Looking great Ian!

It does, doesn’t it.  I thought I wasn’t really bothered about the cosmetics and only really specified refurbing the fan and housing and some tinware.  Having seen the finished item I’m very happy, it just looks right

1 hour ago, topcarrera said:

Ooooooh!

I'm sure that running in a rebuilt air cooled 911 motor counts as essential travel ! 🙂

Hope it delivers what you you are expecting, I'm sure it will be great ......... 

I’m sure it does too although Chris needs to tell me what I should be doing about Rev ranges over miles etc.  If it goes as well as it looks it will deliver, especially as most of the worn stuff that matters has been replaced

17 minutes ago, strosek34 said:

Looking very tidy Ian,  should give it an extra 5hp. 👍

Oh at least!

20 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

I think so too.  Really looking forward to driving it though and noting the differences.  Having had the car for 22 years now there’s no doubt that, although it goes well enough, it will have been gradually/slowly getting tired in a way that won’t really have been noticeable over time.  New pistons/barrels, heads skimmed for a little more compression and 964 cams should be a noticeable improvement.  

Since my engine rebuild, I’ve put 50k miles on my SC and the build spec is pretty much identical to yours.   Although the headline max power is no different really (207 for me),  it’s the big chunk of torque down low that makes the car feel quick and much nicer to drive.    It’s a great formula.  

Don’t be surprised if you are a little nonplussed by initial drives during run in.   The characteristic 4000 rpm SC ‘whoosh’ will no longer be apparent but only because the low down power has been increased.  Of course, you won’t want to boot it during run in so you can’t take advantage.   Hang in there though.

5 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

Although the headline max power is no different really (207 for me)

Jonny, do you have 964 cams? If so is the above a misprint as your car should be 204 standard?

5 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

Since my engine rebuild, I’ve put 50k miles on my SC and the build spec is pretty much identical to yours.   Although the headline max power is no different really (207 for me),  it’s the big chunk of torque down low that makes the car feel quick and much nicer to drive.    It’s a great formula.  

Don’t be surprised if you are a little nonplussed by initial drives during run in.   The characteristic 4000 rpm SC ‘whoosh’ will no longer be apparent but only because the low down power has been increased.  Of course, you won’t want to boot it during run in so you can’t take advantage.   Hang in there though.

Thanks Jonny, that’s good to know.  Can I ask what running-in regime you used?

3 hours ago, GaryH said:

You going to dyno it Ian ? 

No, I hadn’t planned to, mainly because I didn’t dyno it before the rebuild so there is no reference point.  It might be interesting to see where the torque curve is though.