SC engine removal

8 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

And a picture of the old, just failed starter and its replacement.  Quite a contrast

ACFDEC4E-F676-4BB0-94FE-114B706C8C0C.jpeg

What a difference in size! Do you know how much weight do you save with the replacement?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will be nice to see you hot rod engine but here it goes... ok.. 1.drain the oil from tank and engine.2.disconnect (right hand side -next to the oil tank) the oil line from engine oil pump

not possible on G50 trans so 1987 and up it has to come out as one unit ,after the 993 is the other way tras.out for a clutch jobs;-) Ivan

It’s about half the weight as a guess.  I will weigh them later this week if I get change

Posted Images

21 hours ago, WP0ZZZ said:

What a difference in size! Do you know how much weight do you save with the replacement?

Church thread has the answer:

Stock starter motor is 7kg, lightweight alternative is 4kg.

(courtesy of Ace) 

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, WP0ZZZ said:

Thanks, that thread is gold! I need to find some time to read all 16 pages. 

Well it's certainly 'old' gold :lol:

Do you need a lightweight clutch if most of your driving is fast road trips.  You're not a track day bunny Ian and what about sitting in those French traffic jams stalling it all the time ;)

On 20/10/2020 at 11:44, Nige said:

Is splitting the engine and gearbox the same on a G50?

I split my G50 with the engine and gearbox out of the car about 9 months ago..

You do need to pull out the pivot shaft for the fork mechanism to remove the gearbox but I have seen a video on youtube of someone reinstalling a G50 with the engine in the car. It may have been a partial drop. I will have a look in a second as my car is over the pit now so I can give you a more informed view

Peter

Delivered the engine to Chris at GCR this afternoon that to neighbour enter and his horse box. It will be stripped in the next week and then we can discuss what needs doing.  Quite  excited