Front Refresh

craigt

1 minute ago, Ian Comerford said:

If the insert is sealed then we do have different systems, my insert is not.  

Thanks Ian, that just adds to the confusion 😂

I'd thought maybe my car had the wrong inserts fitted but the new ones are identical and have the same numbers. 

Fresh oil it is and I can't imagine the weight of oil being too important as its not passing through any holes, it's just a bath. 

2 minutes ago, craigt said:

Thanks Ian, that just adds to the confusion 😂

I'd thought maybe my car had the wrong inserts fitted but the new ones are identical and have the same numbers. 

Fresh oil it is and I can't imagine the weight of oil being too important as its not passing through any holes, it's just a bath. 

Agreed and I’m sure this temperate climate won’t see too much heat building up in them no matter what use you put them to

58 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

In later models, such as 3.2s a sealed damper insert sits in a tube in which there is a small amount of oil to help keep the damper cool.

If they are Bilstein struts and inserts this is not the case, regardless of year.

The Bilstein design has an "upside down" shock insert, the insert rod is attached to the bottom of the strut and the insert cartridge part is attached to the inner wing strut tower. The cartridge part moves up and down in bearing shells on the inner wall of the strut and the rod remains stationary. They are assembled with a small amount of pink coloured grease, but do not contain any oil. If they did it would get out the bottom of the strut were the rod is anchored in place by a roll-pin.

Looking down a Bilstein strut

DSCN2939.thumb.JPG.bc94cf5a55d06f2eec44798a5e73e9c4.JPG

Bilstein cartridges

IMAG1773.thumb.jpg.a9de3071d67e73ea7f27ee54de369ed8.jpg

Mark

Thanks Mark, 

Mine are Biges on a 1980 car. I'm quite clear what I'm doing now but the differences may help someone else. 

You'res are completely different to mine and it sounds like Ians are different again with the oil passing through holes to create resistance.

IMG_20201030_065957.jpg

IMG_20201030_070017.jpg

IMG_20201030_070113.jpg

IMG_20201030_070044.jpg

IMG_20201030_070104.jpg