Mobil 1 Delvac Gear Oil 75w-90 GL-5 Supplier

I'm hoping someone can please help me out with where I can obtain either 4X1 Litre or 5 Litres of Mobil 1 Delvac Gear Oil 75w-90 GL-5? 

Everywhere I've looked in the UK supply 20 Litres.

Thanks.

Edited by SurlySurdi

1 hour ago, sopor said:

I never went through with this but perhaps now is the time?

I think you're onto something there. I've just come off the phone to the official UK distributor of Mobil 1 (they are only 3 miles from where I live) and they confirmed it's only available in 20 Litre barrels.

19 hours ago, SurlySurdi said:

I'm hoping someone can please help me out with where I can obtain either 4X1 Litre or 5 Litres of Mobil 1 Delvac Gear Oil 75w-90 GL-5? 

Everywhere I've looked in the UK supply 20 Litres.

Thanks.

Is the Devlac bit not a US thing?

Uk version used to be https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-806-mobil-mobilube-1-shc-75w-90-fully-synthetic-performance-gearbox-oil.aspx but its a long time since I used it so you will have to double check specs for yourself.

I've been using the millers stuff in my old IB G50 and 964 G50 for quite a while now and been pretty happy with both the Limited slip and non Limited slip versions:

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-115247-millers-oils-crx-ls-75w-90-nt-competition-fully-synthetic-transmission-oil.aspx

9 hours ago, sopor said:

I never went through with this but perhaps now is the time?

I think you're onto something there. I've just come off the phone to the official UK distributor of Mobil 1 (they are only 3 miles from where I live) and they confirmed it's only available in 20 Litre barrels.

The UK Mobil website shows the following gear oils for the 3.2 so now I'm even more confused:

MOBILUBE PTX 75W-90

Mobilube PTX is a SAE 75W-90 multipurpose gear lubricant. It has been developed to provide outstanding performance specifically in Porsche 911 transaxles.

Mobilube 1 SHC 75W-90 is a fully synthetic, supreme performance commercial gear lubricant formulated using advanced base oils and the latest technology additive system

MOBIL DELVAC 1 GEAR OIL LS 75W-90

Mobil Delvac™ 1 Gear Oil LS 75W-90 is a fully synthetic, limited-slip gear lubricant that been formulated from synthetic base oils and an advanced additive system

I was looking into the Motul Gear 300 option but I'll take a look at the Miller option as well. I've ordered the hand pump which screws onto the next of the bottle and allows you to easily pump it into the gearbox, it was only £9.

Thanks Sopor read all 3 pages in the thread from Pelican. FYIW Mobilube PTX is looking good right now.

As a matter of interest I can’t find PTX unless it’s 20 Litres just like Delvac!

Edited by SurlySurdi

7 hours ago, jevvy said:

Is the Devlac bit not a US thing?

Uk version used to be https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-806-mobil-mobilube-1-shc-75w-90-fully-synthetic-performance-gearbox-oil.aspx but its a long time since I used it so you will have to double check specs for yourself.

I've been using the millers stuff in my old IB G50 and 964 G50 for quite a while now and been pretty happy with both the Limited slip and non Limited slip versions:

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-115247-millers-oils-crx-ls-75w-90-nt-competition-fully-synthetic-transmission-oil.aspx

Jevvy looks like SHC is still available widely in the UK. I think PTX might still be available from an OPC I’ll be checking mine tomorrow 

• Like 1

An update, my OPC does not have it in less than 20 Litres and they can't supply it or decant it into a smaller size bottle so that's a no go,

I've got the following choices now if I want to stick with Mobil:

- Group buy 20 Litres Mobilube PTX (UK supplier) £280, so divided by 4 or 5 = £70 or £56 plus distribution costs, say another £10 on top which makes it £80 or £66 each

- Group buy 20 Litres Mobil Delvac 1 (UK supplier)  £240, so divided by 4 or 5 = £60 or £48 plus distribution costs, say another £10 on top which makes it £70 or £58 each

- Get Mobil Delvac from the states in a 1 gallon bottle = enough for one change. Works out to roughly £72 delivered to the UK including duty

- Get Mobilube 1 SHC (UK supplier) , 4 X 1 Litre bottles for £60 delivered

My optimum choice would be PTX, easiest would be SHC. Sopor has said he floated the group buy previously. Assuming he's still interested that would make 2 of us, any more takers out there?

30 minutes ago, sopor said:

If the group buy can’t get off the ground the Shell Spirax looks very similar and is available for £20-25/litre.

Another option for sure but for me if the group buy does not work out then I’d get either the Delvac or the SHC.

I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered 4 litres of the SHC. Right now I don’t know what’s in there and I don’t know how long ago it was changed so the SHC has to be better than that. Changing it is going to be the next challenge!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Saturday morning I changed the gearbox oil on my G50 beastie with the above-mentioned Shell Spirax. I'm quite pleased with the change - the box shifts noticeably better cold and warm and is much less recalcitrant. Old oil looked clean and all that but no clear indication in the history file about what oil was used and when it was last changed. The expected steel "dust" was on the magnetic drain plug. Well worth the time/effort.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to report I had the gearbox oil changed about a month ago and there is a definite improvement especially in the time it takes to get up to temperature. It's definitely less notchy going from 1st to 2nd when cold.

The chaps who changed the oil told me the oil already in the car wasn't too bad but for me the peace of mind in knowing its been changed was worth it. 

I also had my valves adjusted along with a full service however I still need to sort out my leaky oil tank, onwards we go......