My 6-pot 356: on the road soon

ignatzcatz

Thought I'd run a piccy of my 356 which hopefully should soon be screaming around the Sussex lanes frightening women, children and the odd dog. Of course it couldn't do much screaming with an old four banger so I've stuck a 2.4 911 on Webers up it's bum.  

DSCN2638.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

If you want to go onto you tube and search '356 Porsche flat 6 outlaw' there is a short vid of when we fired the engine up for the first time. It sounds like a junky VW mainly because it was only running on 5 cylinders, now sorted, but the Webers look good.

• 1 month later...
  • johndglynn changed the title to My 6-pot 356: on the road soon

Well I really don't like the term 'six pot' , sounds like some pub frequenting sot. Can we just call it a modified 356, that's all it is. Whatever, my main man Steve has at last got his spraying finger out and the car is finally in it's baby blue and what's more it's baby blue all over, including the roof where there was a distinct depression not formally discovered by any of us. Which is somewhat strange but the reason why no-one noticed it was that for absolute ages the car was in one garage or another up on a ramp and therefore the roof area was out of visual inspection. I mean you get dents in wings or up the bows or up the back  not really in a roof. I can only imagine some poor sod walked over it when it was in it's very unloved state.  Rambling on, the engine lid has had some very deft reconfiguring to primarily clear the fan of the 2.4 but also just to get the piece to fit correctly. It is a quite a small item with a serious double compound curve with any fitting problems magnified by the inner structure and four rows of louvers. I could never get the damn thing to fit correctly but Steve has shown it who is boss and made magic with plannishing hammers and other dark art material. All we have to do now is bung all the mechanicals back in the car, all hah. Na, won't take long, and then I can park it in my garage and not go anywhere.   

painted 2.jpg

engine lid finished.jpg

engine lid primer.jpg

painted 1.jpg

engine lid finished 1.jpg

Lovely little things! Only down bit for me is the carbon dashboard and instrumentation, and maybe the steering wheel as well. It doesn't look right for a hot rod.

Love the colour! 

I had an old 356 steering wheel which was all bent up, possibly the one from this car as it had quite severe front end damage when I bought it. I drilled out the hub to get the correct splines and made this fit to an old steering wheel that I had kicking around the garage. The intention was to get hold of something a bit more stylish, I would like the sport turbo wheel that is fitted on my SSE but these are rare and expensive so the old wheel has been retained, yeah it's a bit grim but it will stay until I find something better. Now the gauges are American Autometer which are the type which you will find on masses of, you guessed it, US hot rods. Don't believe me? just look through any issue of Hot Rod Magazine. And I fitted them because I thought they were a type as far away from stock Porsche, mainly just to annoy the cognoscenti, I have fitted them onto my Cobra as well. Regarding carbon fibre, I love the stuff and I have a pal who works for a race car team so he gets me lots of it. Initially  I thought I would make the dash out of aluminium sheet then engine turn it but I thought this was a bit too old timey so the carbon fibre took the vote and door panels are full carbon fibre as well, there is only one handle to open the door as the windows are electric. Rock on people!!     

• Like 1

On 26/12/2020 at 12:44, ignatzcatz said:

Well I really don't like the term 'six pot' , sounds like some pub frequenting sot. Can we just call it a modified 356, that's all it is.

Agree with the 6 pot, I do like "Outlaw 365" which seems to be in vogue right now. 

Irrespective to how you refer to it, its lovely!:signs118: 

• 3 months later...

I've had loads of grief lately with stupid but important things, I won't bore you with details but the light glimmers at the end of the tunnel and this Wednesday there is a very strong possibility I may be behind the wheel for the very first test drive. 

DSCN1035.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

A little update and the carbs are giving us a load of grief, in fact it's give up time and the car is going down to Plymouth where there is a race shop with a rolling road and full stores of Weber jets, emulsion tubes etc. What I should have done initially was to have raided the piggy bank, the big piggy bank and bought a pair of PMO's but the Webers were half price of them and it's so much cooler to say 'oh yeah they're Webers mate, instead of 'actually they're not Webers, they're PMO's' what? Anyway the rolling road guys should get them sorted without too much drama or cost I hope. My good pal in Devon is pulling out the oil tank and slicing it in half to redirect the return oil pipe entry point and to baffle the internal section of the tank which I am reliably informed will alleviate my oil aerating problems, which has been a bugbear for far too long. 

So with these immediate problems behind me I really do think I m not far from hitting the streets, just remembered, got to buy a couple of front tyres for the 6" x 16 Fuchs although there is loads of tread left on the existing Pirelli 195.45s, they have to be about 15 years old or more and they hard as nails. I'm going for some Toyo 195s with a 50 ratio just to bring the front of the car up a tad.   

DSCN1560.JPG

• Like 1

Looks brilliant Graham - hope you get it back in time for our breakfast meeting and retrithingy.