Not exactly classic - Dax Cobra

I bought this about thirty years ago mainly because I was peeded off with my V8 Pop street rod. It had full chrome front and rear suspension and even if you went out for a half hour drive in the beast you would have to spend the next half day just cleaning it. I admit I'm a bit anal when it comes to having clean cars, anyway I wanted V8 power but without the hassle so I bought this half built Dax Cobra. It had a 3.5 litre Rover and auto box which I threw away immediately and the wiring was a fire waiting to happen so that all got ripped out. Then my boss sent me off to New Jersey as Cargo Station Manager at EWR. Whilst that was quite good for getting lots of stuff for the car, all I could do was stockpile parts. After a year I was back in the UK and my boss said I had to be nearer to LHR, I lived at Brighton at the time, so I moved house to be closer to work and the Cobra also got moved up to my pals workshop in Wisbech where he was going to do some work for me. I got involved with other interests and the time past and here we are. 

I'm currently having a third garage built so the Cobra will be coming back home to share garage with my 356. I have a nice 302 small block Ford and Tremec 5 speed box for it and it will be all systems go very soon. I shall post up some pics as I proceed with the build.   

IMG_0596.JPG

DSCN1222.JPG

• Like 2

Quick pic of the small block Ford going into the Cobra. Block was deburred inside and out, the crank was micropolished and rods were re-sized and fitted with ARP rod bolts. Bearings are Clevite 777. It's got TRW 10.5 : 1 forged pistons, and TRW circle track cam .521 lift in inlet .547 exhaust and 289/299 in/ex duration (this may well be a bit too wild). The heads are iron but they are GT40's with Moroso Chevy 1.94/1.6 valves pushed by Ford Motorsport roller rockers. The timing gear is a Summit straight cut gear drive assy. There is a Melling hi-vol oil pump and MSD distributor, coil and CD unit. I'm a bit unsure about engine overall height so the intake is going to be either Edelbrock Torker I or II or even my old Performer. Holley carb on top a 650cfm double pumper. I haven't had it dyno'd but knowledgeable parties estimate around 400bhp and calculating this with weight of car should make it about 11 seconds for the quarter mile, that's 2 seconds quicker than a 930.   

302 heads and rockers.JPG

• johndglynn changed the title to Not exactly classic - Dax Cobra

Yeah those iron heads must go 25/30k a piece. If the dollar was better and If there wasn't restrictions on movement I would jump on one of our dreamliners and go buy a pair of aluminium heads. Edelbrocks would do fine with the 2.02 intakes. I will get some sooner or later. 

@ignatzcatz

Nice purchase, lots of fun to come. If you need any help with it, Dave Brookes at v8cobra.co.uk, used to build these for customers, and may be a great resource. He has moved onto other (cobra) related things, but i know he still has these in from time to time. No affiliation, I'm just a customer.