What Porsche to buy now for good future value

bruceb

Hi All

I've been a long time away from all things Porsche but starting to think what if! 

When I bought my SC in 1998 it was really just an old Porsche and there were plenty about for around 10k! (its long since gone along with my 993)

I'm thinking about newer cars and wondered if the knwledge on here had any views on an equivalent car today that's a sweet spot for a future classic which has done its depreciation?

thanks 

Bruce 

11 minutes ago, Flat 6 said:

Depends what kind of experience you are after.

Boxster

TVR Tuscan 

Honda s2000

Al.

Al...good point,  hopefully this narrosws it down a bit, water cooled 996 or 997, possibly a 991,  rear wheel drive only, coupe or maybe a targa

6 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Think I would go for a Toyota GT86, no Porsche tax, lots of potential for improving and from what I can read heaps of fun

Missed the bit about it being a Porsche 🙄 a Boxster or Cayman 3.4S would be a lot of fun for the money

#RB

21 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Missed the bit about it being a Porsche 🙄 a Boxster or Cayman 3.4S would be a lot of fun for the money

#RB

Ops I missed that too, Gen1 Boxster (with IMS upgrade) or Gen 2 DFI engine for those sunny days, Cayman R for the coupe - the latter due to low production numbers is already rare and I can only see that (its also a bloody good car) going up in value. 

Edited by Beaky

8 hours ago, Beaky said:

A tweaked MX5 (BBR for power and suspension as an example) is a lot of fun, very agile and communicative, cheap to buy and maintain.

Beaky, you seem to have a bit of an obsession about these. Why don't you just buy one?

13 hours ago, njpcarrera32 said:

Beaky, you seem to have a bit of an obsession about these. Why don't you just buy one?

I have two, one for my daughter, the other one I’ve modded. 👍

Edited by Beaky
  • Like 1

• johndglynn changed the title to What Porsche to buy now for good future value

At a guess: in addition to the Cayman R (already mentioned), how about 968 Club Sport; 997 C2S gen2; maybe 996/997 turbo; 997 GT3; I'd guess anything with a Mezger engine that hasn't already shot up (e.g. 996 GT2 and GT3RS) will become more sought-after as time goes by.  And manual 'box and hydraulic PAS will probably help in the long run, too.

None of the above IMHO.  Nothing will go up in value to any significant extent once you factor in maintenance and running expenses unless its an essential in a collection.  And the prices on all that stuff have already gone.

All the semi-rare stuff that is good to drive will keep value for a while, for sure, but I can't see anyone getting rich from anything without an RS or GT badge and even some of the recent stuff is simply not rare enough.  Even RS or GT stuff is pretty static or even slightly decreasing in value right now (except maybe 2.7RS rare and iconic stuff). 

On 21/11/2020 at 10:24, bruceb said:

Al...good point,  hopefully this narrosws it down a bit, water cooled 996 or 997, possibly a 991,  rear wheel drive only, coupe or maybe a targa

Come on chaps, read the man's posts.................:rolleyes: IMHO none of these will be good future value. Again, IMHO, they are massed produced and designed to be thrown away rather than kept and cherished like our old buckets. Depreciation on them seems to be horrible unless you buy one of the "special" editions. I find post 993 911s a bit dull to look at. :twocents: But hey, I've got a downer on pretty much everything at the moment :glare:

Edited by Phill

On 01/12/2020 at 19:24, GimmeShelter said:

how about 968 Club Sport

Way overpriced already, in my opinion. It was a low-cost car about 20% cheaper than the normal 968: it had stuff removed from it but no fancy parts.

Not sure about the UK but in mainland Europe CSs are almost twice the price than standard 968s. Nonsense!

57 minutes ago, WP0ZZZ said:

Way overpriced already, in my opinion. It was a low-cost car about 20% cheaper than the normal 968: it had stuff removed from it but no fancy parts.

Not sure about the UK but in mainland Europe CSs are almost twice the price than standard 968s. Nonsense!

I don't think it is about making sense, it's about value. 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone...and hiyya Gary its been a while!

I 'm thinking along the lines of the simplist most basic modern 911, the 997 C2 gen 2 has got a couple of mentions so will have a closer look at that, it will also  have to be manual so that cuts out a lot of modern cars.

Also quite like the look of the 40th aniversary 996 and possibly even a C4S,  and at the other end of the budget and probably a bit beyond I really like the recent 911 T but worry about depreciation    

1 hour ago, Fred said:

I don't think it is about making sense, it's about value. 

Value is affected by hype. It is not impossible that after the current transaxle price surge ends, the market will realise that CS != RS.

Got a 964 speedster with hardtop that will be pricey but probably well under book coming to market early next year. Fab rare car, engine rebuilt, lhd, lsd, owned over 15 years but another car coming up so want to be in position to buy. So if anyone interested drop me a line? Raymond 

From personal experience I can highly recommend the transaxles.  Never had a 968 but I adore my 924 and 928, the latter is a frighteningly complex machine when compared to the former but I think it edges it in ownership experience.

The 924 have already gone up a lot but I don't expect make money on the 928.  That said I won't lose much and that's a win too in my book.