Anybody familar with Peter Morgan's book and the 76 Carrera 2.7mfi

Oli

Was there any conversation here on why Peter Morgan does not mention the existence of the 76 Carrera 2.7mfi cars?

I have someone who is arguing with me that because Peter does not mention these 76 Porsches that these car do not exist and I have made it up.

He also mentions the 'Red Book' which I am not familar with, also does not mention or talk about the 76.

Thanks for help

I've got three books which do not mention the possibility of a model year 1976 Carrera 2.7 MFI (engine 911/83): 1. Peter Morgan's book, 2. the Red Book, and 3. Marc Bongers' book. 

However, the Porsche PET does show 1976 VINs for such a car:

CGtAdGA.png

5 minutes ago, WP0ZZZ said:

I've got three books which do not mention the possibility of a model year 1976 Carrera 2.7 MFI (engine 911/83): 1. Peter Morgan's book, 2. the Red Book, and 3. Marc Bongers' book. 

However, the Porsche PET does show 1976 VINs for such a car:

CGtAdGA.png

But not 123 cars and not my 119

Edited by Oli

8 hours ago, flatsix777 said:

The Porsche 911 Source Book makes reference to 123 of the 76 Model Year Carreras having the 210bhp motor, which I assume is the MFI motor. No further detail. 

David

image.thumb.jpg.380e7c7751a88defd6495c17e651ecb4.jpg

Yeah,  I have that book. Not reassuring that they think the engine was a 3.0...

13 hours ago, Flat 6 said:

Yeah,  I have that book. Not reassuring that they think the engine was a 3.0...

That's probably because 1976 was the first year of the Carrera 3.0. The table shows a capacity of 3.0 and a power of 200 hp for the 930/02 engine, which is correct for a Carrera 3.0.

The text mentioning the 123 examples says Carrera 3.0 but states the power of the Carrera 2.7...

The Porsche Book by Boschen and Barth also mentions them, if anybody knows Jurgen Barth would.

There were actually 113 produced with chassis numbers 9116609011 to 9116609123 as the numbers 1-10 were reserved for prototypes so not normally used. The figure of 113 produced (Stuckzahl) is also shown on the COA linked in the Car and Classic ad, a case of a COA actually being correct for a change!

Oli, I also believe you have a copy of the original German Fahrzeugbrief for the car which shows the chassis number and engine specification as well as the production number, all the proof you need that it exists!

• 1 month later...

Because some books are written by people who aren't as well educated on cars like this doesn't mean these don't exist. Back in the 70-80s we used to call them "76 RSs". I later started referring to them as having "the Magic 9s".  Take a hard look at the vin numbers and see which other Porsches have this vin numbering!   Technically, they weren't called "Carrera" by the factory, and I suspected that was because they weren't a regular production 911 and Porsche was focused on what was a more emissions friendly product, the Carrera 3.   BTW, it seems that most of these have gained badging, stripes, etc that weren't there when they were built.   I've always liked these unusual cars but living in California means it's unlikely they will ever be legally registered here.

9 hours ago, jrice930 said:

Because some books are written by people who aren't as well educated on cars like this doesn't mean these don't exist. Back in the 70-80s we used to call them "76 RSs". I later started referring to them as having "the Magic 9s".  Take a hard look at the vin numbers and see which other Porsches have this vin numbering!   Technically, they weren't called "Carrera" by the factory, and I suspected that was because they weren't a regular production 911 and Porsche was focused on what was a more emissions friendly product, the Carrera 3.   BTW, it seems that most of these have gained badging, stripes, etc that weren't there when they were built.   I've always liked these unusual cars but living in California means it's unlikely they will ever be legally registered here.

I appreciate what you have stated here about the "RS". If you have anything more you can talk about this model I would love to hear it?

• 2 months later...

For whatever reason I don't seem to get notifications here. If you have one of these cars you really should have a copy of the Ryan Snodgrass book which extensively details these rare 911s.  BTW, one of the aspects of owning a rare example of a popular car is dealing with idiot "expert" louts who insist that their [mis] understanding of what is correct is the only truth. I own a couple of unusual Porsches and I learned long ago to ignore idiots. Really, the POINT of these cars is enjoying them and I mean driving them, not impressing people.  Get the book. Enjoy the driving experience!