Bicester Scramble Jan 10th 2021

Chris_911

37 minutes ago, 85targa said:

I know it’s late notice but I have a ticket I carnt use due to bad back

Didn’t read the thread properly, if anyone else fancies it let me know

Nice day out, some lovely cars to see (some of which I recognised from here) and njpcarrera, nice to meet you. Would have loved to put some more faces to usernames, but I didn't stay very long.

I look forward to the next one. Chris.

Where were all the cars though?

Significantly less to see within Bicester Heritage site itself.

Covid-driven or....?

Edited by Chris_911

1 hour ago, njpcarrera32 said:

Under COVID-19 rules they were allowed a maximum of 4,000 visitors each day, normally 10,000. I counted and photographed 26 impact bumper cars.

It's not the visitors that I'm referring to.

There were significantly fewer 'curated cars' inside the main site. Also several of the businesses that would normally be open were closed.

Anyone else think these events really need to try harder. Always the same, even down to most of the same curated cars. Need few bits going on. A band, a few guest speakers from the sport. Few iconic cars. Use the strip for a bit of a show. It becomes a highlight when someone fires up an engine. 

I did Simply Porsche yesterday and its kind of the same. Just with the motor museum tacked on. It's just a huge carpark. 

Thanks for the pics Chris (not going to put mine up as certainly not to the same standard 😉 )

I have to say that I quite enjoyed the fact that there were a lot less people there and could spend more time around cars which were more spread out.

1 hour ago, Busybee said:

Anyone else think these events really need to try harder. Always the same, even down to most of the same curated cars. Need few bits going on. A band, a few guest speakers from the sport. Few iconic cars. Use the strip for a bit of a show. It becomes a highlight when someone fires up an engine. 

I did Simply Porsche yesterday and its kind of the same. Just with the motor museum tacked on. It's just a huge carpark. 

Yup, although they're a focal point to have a drive and meet up with you guys, some event are no more than a grander classic car pub meet without the pub.  In fact I think my local pub has copied the business plan as they have started charging entry/parking!

As Haith says .. if they could use the runway in some way ,  for some speed tests customers cars maybe ... that would be a massive draw .. petrol heads like to see cars doing what they were designed to do .. a few revving engines and people are like bees to a honey pot ...  prob some crap killjoy insurance reason no doubt ..  other than that being less busy made it far more enjoyable for me . not a bad day compared to the over busy meets in the past .. :twocents:

Think I’m going to focus on events where something happens going forward. All good and well walking in a carpark full of nice cars but I want more to see for a 3/3.5 hour drive. Goodwood FOS, Shelsy Walsh hill runs, Le Mans, Spa. More my kind of thing with stuff to watch. I’m sure Bicester and Beaulieu are gutted 😂 

This was Beaulieu yesterday btw. A carpark full of lovely pork. That’s it. Cheap as chips but was it worth a seven hour round trip. Don’t think so really. Except I got to see Beaky of course 😜

5B1AF5BA-81CB-4E0F-A21C-107D55EC0E84.jpeg

1E969EEA-4DEE-4A2C-9DCC-3EA71924D88E.jpeg

B3FCAC2E-5A38-42DC-B1E3-84CE5F3AC793.jpeg

34695115-7FB0-4242-8D85-F61DB8D9097D.jpeg

9A8E2A11-9984-4F31-B367-6A4825D9433F.jpeg

FA27D6F5-59BC-47FA-9A40-ECC3F3D8F506.jpeg

Goodwood FOS or Le Mans Classic for me too

Porsche only shows are exactly that so quite boring, much prefer a bit of variety and seeing the unexpected at shows like Retro Rides

My favourite though are Euro touring car events with a few choice stops along the way, I really should do more of this

7 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Porsche only shows are exactly that so quite boring, much prefer a bit of variety and seeing the unexpected at shows like Retro Rides

My favourite though are Euro touring car events with a few choice stops along the way, I really should do more of this

I’m game. When are we off? 

I thought atmosphere at Bicester was very flat to be honest,  nicer that there we're less people but all in all disappointing.

Le Mans Classic is the best place,  Silverstone Classic is good as well.

Highlight of Bicester was seeing Northy (Lewis) and his dad.

Great pictures as usual Chris.

1 hour ago, strosek34 said:

I thought atmosphere at Bicester was very flat to be honest,  nicer that there we're less people but all in all disappointing.

Le Mans Classic is the best place,  Silverstone Classic is good as well.

Highlight of Bicester was seeing Northy (Lewis) and his dad.

Great pictures as usual Chris.

🥰 I agree. 

They didn't seem to let joe public park inside the main event, which was poorer for it.  Normally there is all sorts of stuff parked all over the place.  Without that, it made it all feel a bit empty. I did enjoy being out of the house and amongst the cars though!  I would have liked to take home the little red Healey 100 - lovely little thing. 

38 minutes ago, Northy said:

They didn't seem to let joe public park inside the main event, which was poorer for it.  

That's the best thing about this event - being able to drive in and just park and them the sheer randomness of what you see as you are walking around. Without that to me its just yet another car show. 

6 hours ago, Busybee said:

Quite agree, car shows are getting very lazy.

7 hours ago, Busybee said:

Think I’m going to focus on events where something happens going forward. All good and well walking in a carpark full of nice cars but I want more to see for a 3/3.5 hour drive. Goodwood FOS, Shelsy Walsh hill runs, Le Mans, Spa. More my kind of thing with stuff to watch. I’m sure Bicester and Beaulieu are gutted 😂

Classic Nostalgia at Shelsley Walsh 18/19 July?

https://www.classicnostalgia.co.uk/

8 hours ago, World Citizen said:

👍