Winter Hack

Busybee

Looking for suggestions on a winter hack to save salting IB's and Spydy.

Under £10K

Fun

Saleable for similar money if I want rid. 

I've looked at Celica GT's and MR2 Turbo's. Also 987 Caymans and Boxsters. 

What do you guys suggest/drive?  

987 on Winter/All Season tyres - I run my 3.7 986 throughout the year and use Winter tyres over the colder months.

Winters/All Season tyres give so much grip at lower temps meaning you can still properly enjoy the car year round.

987 has full stability electronics which might be useful, chuck in heated seats and they're a decent proposition for roof down cold clear skies driving.  

With a £10k budget you'd get something reasonable and it isn't likely to cost you a lot in depreciation between now and the spring.  Think you've found boxa.net - might be worth putting a Wanted Ad up for something suitable.

7 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

With salted roads, they'll be nothing left of it by spring 😲

True..... I've had a couple. Here's a typical case, left in a salty Sainsburys car park while it's owner did the weekly shop....

kc8kgnv3u6dz9bdsni27.jpg

• Haha 1

On 08/12/2020 at 13:56, Busybee said:

Looking for suggestions on a winter hack to save salting IB's and Spydy.

Under £10K

Fun

Saleable for similar money if I want rid. 

I've looked at Celica GT's and MR2 Turbo's. Also 987 Caymans and Boxsters. 

What do you guys suggest/drive?  

Something like this should get you to your favourite sheep in no time, even in the depths of winter. And it keeps it in the family.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Porsche-Cayenne-4-5-Turbo-Tiptronic-S-AWD-5dr/254778621981?hash=item3b51fd401d:g:CWwAAOSwMU5fXGZF

9 hours ago, ALEX P said:

Something like this should get you to your favourite sheep in no time, even in the depths of winter. And it keeps it in the family.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Porsche-Cayenne-4-5-Turbo-Tiptronic-S-AWD-5dr/254778621981?hash=item3b51fd401d:g:CWwAAOSwMU5fXGZF

Some 16” steelies and Mud Terrain tyres on that should be fun 😋

Winter tyres on ( almost) whatever grabs you. I couldn't believe the difference they make. I had an A4 quattro which would get stuck in a level car park in 4" of snow . Problem solved with the right tyres. That was a long time ago and now , when we get to November we fit winter rubber to an SQ5( also not great in snow on its standard tyres) and an slc Merc.  Makes things a lot easier. 

35 minutes ago, GNJon said:

Winter tyres on ( almost) whatever grabs you 

True. In deep snow I've seen many a ski instructor driving up to a resort at 8am for their first lesson of the day, even before the roads are cleared, usually in a 2WD Peugeot 20-something. Proper snow tyres and some skills and you'd be surprised where you can go with ease. 

13 minutes ago, SP72 said:

We had 2004 4 door Focus in Italy, great car, handles surprisingly well, really reliable, drove all over with it, as far as deepest, darkest Transylvania, on winter weekends it was the family ski bus, never got stuck once

Another 👍 for snow tyres, any 2WD car should easily get through 4ish" of snow, makes packed snow feel about as grippy as wet gravel

• Like 1

One of these, as Mrs P drives:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010315648745?model=OUTLANDER&year-to=2013&sort=relevance&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2011&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&include-delivery-option=on&make=MITSUBISHI&postcode=gl22de&page=1

Never gets stuck regardless of conditions. Couple of years ago when we had some decent snow she would happily come up and down the hill to our house. This being the hill where one of the local farmers locked up his JCB tractor with trailer load of straw, and needed the combined efforts of two tractors to pull/push it up. 

Other thing is they handle surprisingly well as they share their floorpan with Mitsubishi Lancer Evo... 

We've got a Skoda Yeti as a family smoker/dog car. It's ace and I honestly can't fault it.  DSG,  Small Petrol Turbo. Dead easy to live with, small, modern enough, cheap. 

I wish we'd bought the 4x4 though and put some fat Cooper Discoverers on it 🙂

Thanks for all the advice. Some fun choices mentioned. It’s not a hack as in transport I’m after (we have a 4x4 Tiguan that’ll do the boring stuff). It’s a fun Saturday blast even though it’s 2 degrees and the roads are covered in salt and cack that I’m looking for. 
I nearly bit on a cayman up in Scotland but it kinda went sour. That leggy 911 sounds more fun @SP72. Bit pricey though for nearing on 200k miles. 
Fun stuff. Without to many worries. That’s what I’m after. Nice mk5 r32 golf on piston heads 🤔

Edited by Busybee