One man and his Dog.

Wingnonut

Discovery wouldn’t start today(fekin leaky injectors) so the newly MOT’d IB picked Bruce up from the groomers this afternoon. First time in a Porshecar.  Not sure which I love the most my car or my dog 😊

69F74D1F-2DEB-4237-BFCA-475F3D2F141F.jpeg

• Like 2

Oscar loved the IB - leaning into the corners like a good 'un

01c69fa7cb387e9d554c17663e92f48ab333ab60e6.thumb.jpg.c566131696b4651c5b00943b5911beb3.jpg0105cc270040f1771657930d837b7360c99f4f7db8.thumb.jpg.83b98ce59a97a88420e390c7277ae671.jpg

He also loved the Camper Van, spending hours sitting in the front while we packed and then on every journey

P1010430.thumb.JPG.7b41f74d213c061824869e21465699eb.JPG

He used to jump between seats in the camper to while away the journey! - cover on the radio was to stop him turning things on and off!

Didn't like the Smart Cabriolet we used to tow unless the hood was up though!

IMG_1803.thumb.JPG.75ed0de590e7f8eed6d05c62972a87b4.JPG

He did like the Boxster as well - the folding roof used to fascinate him

Unfortunately he's getting old now (12) and has arthritis in every leg so he's gone off travelling in the car - it's not the same without him!

Still my best mate though! - comfy on his specially designed sheepskin covered, middle seat on the Ducato

01cd7ac8e346f3ca48107baff6a1f40ac48e9f8ec4.jpg

Edited by Roy M

Roy,  have you tried Oscar on YouMove tablets? - my previous cocker spaniel was on them for 6+ years after having devloped a limp (arthritis?) and she lived until 15.

Our current working cocker also developed mild arthritis when he was around 7 years and we put him on YouMove - no limping since and he is now getting on for 10yrs.

This is available on line or from your pet store, no script needed.

Worth a try?

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Happy new year to you as well.

I did get the YuMove for Oscar. So far he has had 32 tablets ( double dose so two a day). No discernible difference although I keep thinking his legs look better and then am not so sure. Will keep going with it - I mix it with mashed potato and tuna as he'll eat it then!

Will keep you updated

I think it is very well established but I'll try anything that helps him. I was expecting a 4 - 6 week lead in before seeing any real difference so still some way to go. Even if he's slightly more comfortable it will all be worth it 

I take it you've got Oscar on pain management - the YouMove is a good supplement, but he'll be hiding his pain and that needs managing.  I assume that you have also been given tips and suggestions on modifying his activity (by his vet).

Yes - he's on the maximum dose of Loxicom for his weight. We also tried him on Tramadol but he took it once and then refused to take it after that no matter how we tried to hide it. Chatting to the vet we put him on 125 mg of paracetamol twice a day which we can hide in mashed potato and tuna (he loves mashed potato). We also had him on Cannabis oil until recently but that didn't seem to be doing anything so we're dropping that off. The vet seemingly doesn't have any more options and, to be honest he's still a bright and happy dog most of the time.

We only take him on shorter walks now on the lead - his problems probably stem from careering around the woods after pheasant, deer, rabbits or foxes when he was younger - he was impossible to tire out!

I sometimes think his main problem is me - I just don't want him to get old!!

Thanks for the input.

Edited by Roy M
Spelling

Roy,  we all never want our much loved dogs to get old but it is one of the main problems with owning pets - they become such an emotional tie (but worth every minute of ownership - which is also a two way feeling for owner and dog🐕).