What Tyres!?

VADNE

I just put a set of "Michelin Pilot Sport 4" on mine and it seems pretty good on wet Irish roads.  Cost €540. Hasn't been dry since I got them, but I expect they should be pretty good.

Comparable to the old Bridgestone SO2 I had on it, so far. 

• 1 month later...
On 18/12/2020 at 21:39, JamieB911 said:

Just put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on. Yet to try them in anger but love the way they look

I can't find any in the right sizes (Fuchs 16"), but I know they were available last year.  I don't do much mileage in the winter, so my current plan is to stick with my ageing S02's until the Michelins become available again.  Hope you'll keep posting your thoughts on them in the meantime.

• 2 months later...

I needed some new tyres - been on Bridgestone S02s for the last five years and been very happy with them, but couldn't find stock anywhere at all.

PS4 was an option but the only place I could source was from Germany - MyTyres.co.uk which has had terrible reviews since Brexit - obviously struggling to ship to UK customers.

In the end I've gone for Yokohama AD08RS - I have the older "good" AD08R on the Alfa. Since they have gone to RS spec the compound is harder so the tyre apparently is not what it once was. Camskill and all the usual places didn't have stock but I found Demon Tweeks had them on the shelf and I had the last two rears (225/50).

Even though they are now shot on the inner edge (rears) and at 5 years old I still rate the S-02s, was out for a blast yesterday in 5degC conditions and they are still awesome. If I could have sourced a new set I would have had another.

A welcome treat was they were just over £400 shipped - compared to modern cars this is so cheap. I think I paid £1000 for a set of Cup2s last year in a relatively modest 18" size....

• 2 months later...

Similar problem here.  Having been happily loyal to Conti SportContacts for years, I now can't find any anywhere.

Nor S02s, although having read this and the SC Tyres thread I suspect that these may not be the best choice to mate with my Bilsteins.

So onto Michelin Sport Pilot 4s, then, and again amazingly hard to track down!  They also don't seem to do an "N" rating for my sizes, so I'm looking at 91Y (205/55/R16) for the fronts and 92Y (225/55/R16) for the rears.  To fit to 6J and 7J Fuchs (I think these are the sizes I bought the car with, even though they're also the recommended sizes for my current 7J and 8J Campagnolos - 🤷‍♂️ any comments on this would be appreciated).

Found some on Demon Tweaks eventually and have ordered them.  I find myself strangely nervous about trying something new after maybe 15 years on SportContacts!  But looking forward to it.

I look forward to hearing about others' experiences on them and the comparisons.

50 profile on the rear will have the same sidewall height (within a mil or two) as 55 profile on the front.

Mine are on new wheels, waiting for me to finish colour sanding.

• 1 month later...

Update on the AD08RS I fitted. I think they're actually a bit too sticky in the dry and you can't move the car around as much, or as predictably as on the S-02's. 

I feel they'd be better on a 911 with nearer 300bhp.

Edited by reddevil

52 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

think MSP4's would be too modern on an IB? I have them on the Cayman R and they are super grippy, which suits a 335bhp car on wide wheels but maybe take the fun out of an old 911

I have them on my car and love them. The 'feel' is great, and they seem quiet too.

On 13/12/2020 at 14:35, Ian Comerford said:

Bridgestone SO2s, anyone suggesting otherwise probably voted for Brexit.......😀

Nah, they probably have tried all the options and concluded that Contis are the best!

SO2 were too stiff in the sidewall for B roads IMO. 

6 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

That’s one opinion and there’s a lot of them out there.

Sure, but have you actually tried them? 

I’ve had Toyo. Yokohama, Bridgestone and Continental.

I just bought Contact 6 for the 914 EV,   Amazingly, they are A rated for both wet performance and fuel economy.   I haven’t seen that before.