Sports Purpose - original manuals download

Ian Comerford

• johndglynn changed the title to Sports Purpose - original manuals download
On 18/12/2020 at 05:14, WP0ZZZ said:

Am I right in thinking that those "sports purposes" 911s from the late 60s and early 70s were used mainly for racing?

Yes, mainly competition. Race and rally.

Well it always included both - the idea of the early sports purpose cars was one car to do both - drive there/race/drive home. The big change is no one really drives their 911s to race/rally events these days - if they even race now - due to asset values and cost to maintain and all that.

On 08/01/2021 at 22:36, johndglynn said:

Well it always included both - the idea of the early sports purpose cars was one car to do both - drive there/race/drive home. The big change is no one really drives their 911s to race/rally events these days - if they even race now - due to asset values and cost to maintain and all that.

Maybe now there are better options for racing. I imagine that in the late 60s buying a 911 S and racing it for a season cost more than a house at the time!

The idea of driving to a race made me think of the PR stunt from Porsche with the 997.2 GT3 RS that they drove to the Nurburgring and raced in the 24h!

2010-202290-porsche-911-gt3-rs-nurburgring-24h-chris-harris-roland-asch-horst-von-saurma-p1.jpg

2010-202286-porsche-911-gt3-rs-nurburgring-24h-chris-harris-roland-asch-horst-von-saurma-p1.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 16/12/2020 at 21:03, Ian Comerford said:

I’ve always liked the Porsche Sports Purpose ethos which may explain why I also like RGruppe.  I’ve just noticed an NZ website with both of the manuals available for download.  Enjoy.

http://early911nzdownloads.yolasite.com/sports-purposes-manuals.php

Unfortunately the site has been disabled now.

SS