I hadn't driven my 911 for about 4 weeks. I cycle a lot plus I have an old Peugeot which I bought to use in the Winter and when the weather is foul. But last weekend the weather was nice, clear but cold, typical Autumn/Winter day so I thought must get the old girl out and give it a run. It fired up first prod which I reckon was quite good as I don't have a trickle charger on it but it does have a new battery however. It has the 915 transmission and I always just snick it into first and move forward six inches or so then click back into reverse which obviates any crunching of gears. But this time I couldn't get first or second or any other gears. Minor panic ensued so I tried reverse and with a crunch of gears, thankfully it went in.  I was a little reluctant to reverse out of the garage but I let the car warm up for a minute or so and pulled the car out and let the gears turn over a bit. This must have freed things up somewhat because I could then get first and the other gears. I went for a short drive and all was fine. Now one week later with the weather looking reasonable I thought I should give it a short drive (OK I admit the car is a bit of a garage queen) and what happened - same deal, no forward gears only reverse with a crunch. Some time back I changed the trans fluid over to Swepco which is the only thing I have altered in this department since I had the car. I'm going to put another make of gear oil into the box, maybe a better, lighter grade and see if this improves the situation. With all this virus crap I do have quite a bit of time on my hands but I really don't want to have to pull the engine and gearbox out if I needn't 

Gearshaft linkage under the little hatch between the seats, check that first.  The bush fails or its come lose for some reason.

Then check the cable/adjustment at the gearbox.  Gears don't just disappear and it hopefully just something simple like the above or the clutch cable need adjusting.

I'm not familiar with the 915 adjustment but there are tricks to do correctly.

6 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

You put blue treacle in your gearbox and it has set like 70's space fudge.

Nah it's the best stuff ever Johnny, the internet swears by it. 😂

This will be a shifter linkage issue. Or put more swepco in it. 👍👍

I checked the gear linkage last week and all the bushes are new because I fitted a  Porsche factory short shift kit not so long ago. I'm going to get it up in the air this week and take an oil sample and compare it with some new stuff. I don't know what I expect to find but it might give a clue. 

And very sorry for any folks in the new Tier 4, what a sod, we've just had our Christmas  at a friends in Guildford  chucked down the pan.

1 hour ago, ignatzcatz said:

I checked the gear linkage last week and all the bushes are new because I fitted a  Porsche factory short shift kit not so long ago. I'm going to get it up in the air this week and take an oil sample and compare it with some new stuff. I don't know what I expect to find but it might give a clue. 

And very sorry for any folks in the new Tier 4, what a sod, we've just had our Christmas  at a friends in Guildford  chucked down the pan.

If it's not a selector issue, I have had it where a chunk of a gear tooth broke off and was periodically binding on the shifter rod between the housing and the rod  making selection impossible but the chunk would move around and free up periodically. This would be an internal issue. alternatively the selector pin could be damaged . When you you drain the oil put it in neutral remove the cover plate and have a look in there.  Hope it's not this bud but good luck all the same. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2020 at 19:41, PorscheApostle said:

Nah it's the best stuff ever Johnny, the internet swears by it. 😂

This will be a shifter linkage issue. Or put more swepco in it. 👍👍

Think I'd agree. US users swear by it... and I'm sure it works well in California. I had Swepco 201 in for a while, but changed again to Motul MotylGear 75W90 which suits the 915 gearbox better in this climate.

I always us 1ltr swepco to 2ltr 75/90 mineral in race 915 and never had any issues. Tried full swepco once and gears seemed to stick/stiffen especially when box really hot. Hope this helps.

Recently sent a US gallon of Swepco over to Steve at Classic Fabrications for the 915 that's in my 356. When the car is back on the road we can find out if the oil performs in a similar way. This might be a little while until  some sort of conclusion can be gleaned.