Another Youtube Club Sport Review

Barty

New review of the CS released this week, not the most gripping or inspiring and certainly not the standard, detail or understanding (IMO) of Harry's previous review. Also added for ease and the long Xmas break. (bottom clip)

So all the weight saving efforts just about offsets the increase in lard brought by the G50?  The only difference in the drive compared to an early 3.2 is the shorter gear ratios.  All the stuff he's raving about is standard 3.2 like the steering and brakes.

Anyone on here owned a CS and an early 3.2?  Is it really that much of a better drive because apart from the gear ratios I can't see any significant differences?

20 minutes ago, 16vjay said:

Interesting.  So where did the G50 is heavier thing start as I've seen it in several places?

??

Quote from the link.....

"Redbook weights are 1210kg (for a 915 car) and 1250kg (for a G50 car), so that is precisely what you would expect."

I have seen it mentioned several times, but does the CS actually have shorter gear ratios than a standard 3.2?

PET doesn't appear to list a replacement gearbox specifically for the M637 Club Sport option, so is it the same gearbox for all 3.2 models?

13 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

??

Quote from the link.....

"Redbook weights are 1210kg (for a 915 car) and 1250kg (for a G50 car), so that is precisely what you would expect."

The link Nige posted said the difference between the gearboxes was very little - certainly not the 88lbs shown here - which was the figure I remembered - so did the gearbox change drive other weight increases in the car or are they not comparing otherwise-identical spec cars?

I love Clubsports and regret not buying one when I bought my 3.2 (20+ years ago) when they were less than £10K more than a comparable condition 3.2.  I still have fond memories as a penniless 21 year old of lusting after a brand new one in AFN's Guidford showroom when they first appeared in the UK.
Despite all the journo hype they really are (unlike the RS models) nothing especially different from a standard Coupe.  Carefully but gently distilled by Porsche to intensify the pure 911 driving experience which had been dulled somehat by the increasingly over-festooned standard cars of the time they will always have special appeal not least because of the low factory production numbers. They are very nice!

Reality is that a basic spec early 3.2 non sunoof coupe with factory LSD, fresh Bilstein suspension/geo and a mild ECU remap will provide the same handling, feel, performance and weight of a CS albeit without the benefit of the easier to use G50 transmission.

I think a lot of the commentary in some of these reviews is driven by either a need to write what is "expected" and/or comparison with experience of driving a very "tired" over-specced (leather, sunroof, electic seats, rear-wiper, aircon etc..) late model car.

Putting aside rarity then for all round driving appeal then IB of choice for me would be a basic Euro spec LSD equipped 86 My Coupe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2020 at 18:14, topcarrera said:

I think a lot of the commentary in some of these reviews is driven by either a need to write what is "expected"

This is 95% of motoring magazine journalism and a big part of why I jacked it in.

I agree with the '86 being a sweet spot - subjective of course. There are sweeter ones for me. It is all about what you have to spend and what takes your fancy.

There is so much choice in IB - N/A vs forced induction, MFI vs CIS vs Motronic/915 vs G50/2.7 vs 3.0 vs 3.2 is such a rich palette for those who want to stay standard and have the resources to mix their ideal shades.

I like a blend of lighter weight, some attention to gears, changes to driving position, nicer shift and wider wheels. Any combination like that on any IB is a very nice recipe. CS does add quite a few elements of that.

• Like 1

• johndglynn changed the title to Another Youtube Club Sport Review
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...