Temperature sensor in exhaust cat, 79 911sc

Hi folks,

Just wonder can I just remove a d disconnect the temperature sensor that is attached to the end of the Catalytic converter (figure 3, 6c). The exhaust temperature was introduced around 79-80 to Japanese market, which the car was imported from. I have a straight through pipe bought to replace this cat, can I just remove and disconnect the exhaust temperature sensor or do I need to weld a hold and attach the temperature sensor?

many thanks,

justin 

F2677C89-357B-4382-AB95-AFEAC838891A.jpeg

CD35B966-30EB-4023-B972-F73ABC62A1CC.jpeg

0C124637-EBBA-4159-92B7-785E526ED326.jpeg

Edited by Justin689

That is a Lambda sensor (oxygen sensor) on the end of the wire. It was/is connected to a sensor control unit (small black box under the nearside seat IIRC), this then controls the frequency Valve, which is a vibrating valve in the fuel line that controls the pressure in the fuel distributor, reducing/increasing fuel flow for improved emissions.

It's a US, Canada, Japan thing. Have a search on Pelican for the best way to deal with it. I can't remember if you can just disconnect it, or if you have to make some mods.

Mark

• Justin689 changed the title to Temperature sensor in exhaust cat, 79 911sc
35 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

That is a Lambda sensor (oxygen sensor) on the end of the wire. It was/is connected to a sensor control unit (small black box under the nearside seat IIRC), this then controls the frequency Valve, which is a vibrating valve in the fuel line that controls the pressure in the fuel distributor, reducing/increasing fuel flow for improved emissions.

It's a US, Canada, Japan thing. Have a search on Pelican for the best way to deal with it. I can't remember if you can just disconnect it, or if you have to make some mods.

Mark

Thanks mark,

was the oxygen sensor labelled 6A in the diagram? This one is at the position of 6C...

Maybe I just update this,

it’s a Japanese market feature to use this sensor and monitor the exhaust temperature, EGT sensor. Just got confirmed from Japanese Porsche owner, simply remove the sensor and joint the wire, then the dash EX light will be off.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/389175-what-red-light-blinking-row-dash.html