Torsion Bar mystery

Hi,

Some years ago I bought a pair of second-hand torsion bars allegedly for a 911SC, which are now surplus to requirements. It was so long ago, that I can’t remember whether they were for the front or the rear.

They are 61cm long and 22mm across the splines and have the following markings at each end:

Left hand bar:

∆ o L       (the ∆ appears to have what looks like a cockerel engraved in it, and the o is the round dent in the end)

G o O     (the O appears to have a 6 in the middle of it)

Right hand bar:

R o       (the ∆ is inverted not as shown)  

Д o 1   (the Д is on its side not upright as shown)

If anyone can identify these parts I would be grateful for any information, including how much I should ask for them?

Cheers

Paul

I could be wrong but isn’t the correct measurement of the torsion bar across its diameter, rather than across the splines.  If correct, I don’t think you have a 33mm torsion bar Craig.

Hi, Ian, Thanks for joining this, if what you say is the case, then the diameter of the torsion bars I have,  is 19mm across the diameter and 24mm across the splines.

2 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

I could be wrong but isn’t the correct measurement of the torsion bar across its diameter, rather than across the splines.  If correct, I don’t think you have a 33mm torsion bar Craig.

I'm unsure how a torsion bar should actually be measured but just sent the info the OP was asking for. 

I knew they have to be refitted the way they were removed and that they're handed left and right. What I hadn't realised was the 2 ends are different diameters and so will only fit one way anyway. 

The bar is 24mm, the inboard end is 33mm and the outboard end is 36mm

1 hour ago, craigt said:

I'm unsure how a torsion bar should actually be measured but just sent the info the OP was asking for. 

I knew they have to be refitted the way they were removed and that they're handed left and right. What I hadn't realised was the 2 ends are different diameters and so will only fit one way anyway. 

The bar is 24mm, the inboard end is 33mm and the outboard end is 36mm

One end is smaller than the other to cater for differing numbers of splines and thereby allow two levels of adjustment of ride height.  Here’s a link copied from Pelican which contains a useful chart showing sizes against different models http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1015690-early-torsion-bar-setup.html

Thanks Craig,

That settles it; they are both 18.8 mm. Many thanks for your input. Incidentally what Section of the Bentley's is that? It's just that I couldn't find in mine.

Cheers

Paul

15 minutes ago, stables555 said:

Thanks Craig,

That settles it; they are both 18.8 mm. Many thanks for your input. Incidentally what Section of the Bentley's is that? It's just that I couldn't find in mine.

Cheers

Paul

It's 400 - 3 👍

23 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

One end is smaller than the other to cater for differing numbers of splines and thereby allow two levels of adjustment of ride height.  Here’s a link copied from Pelican which contains a useful chart showing sizes against different models http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1015690-early-torsion-bar-setup.html

I'll give that a look Ian. I'm really not looking forward to setting it up again. It's probably not that bad when you've done it once. 

It'll be adjusted professionally once finished but it needs to be driveable to get there.