Losing your cherry

SurlySurdi

When did you lose your Porsche cherry? I'm talking about when you owned your first Porsche rather than your first drive of one.

Provide the following:

Age when lost: Model: Where purchased: Amount paid: Year of purchase

I'll start...

Age - 29: Model - 944 S2 Cabriolet: Where purchased - AFN Chiswick: Amount paid - £24,000: Year of purchase - 1997

Model: 3.2 Carrera.

Where purchased: Privately from Andrew in Devon from a Pistonheads ad.

Amount paid: £14,250.

Year of purchase: 2013.

And the best bit:

First time driving (or even sitting in) a Porsche: After handing Andrew the cash leaving his house!  No, never drove it during the inspection.  Didn't even go out in it, he drove it 15 feet out of his garage and that is as far as it went.

By time I got to the M25 I was in torrential rain, ideal first drive of a 911!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 16vjay said:

And the best bit:

First time driving (or even sitting in) a Porsche: After handing Andrew the cash leaving his house!  No, never drove it during the inspection.  Didn't even go out in it, he drove it 15 feet out of his garage and that is as far as it went.

By time I got to the M25 I was in torrential rain, ideal first drive of a 911!

First drive in my 3.2 that I collected on the way to work one morning.  Had a white van man up my rear for a couple of miles on a dual carriage way, I brake checked him a touch then hoofed it.  Unfortunately red traffic lights ahead meant he was behind me again, he jumped out of his van with bright red roid induced rage face, hammer in hand pumped up, tatood no neck gym nutter.  Luckily the lights changed before he got close enough and I slipped through before he could get back in his van.  Phew, he was scary massive!  Made sure I went a different way to work for a couple of weeks.

Edited by Nige
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Nige said:

First drive in my 3.2 that I collected on the way to work one morning.  Had a white van man up my rear for a couple of miles on a dual carriage way, I brake checked him a touch then hoofed it.  Unfortunately red traffic lights ahead meant he was behind me again, he jumped out of his van with bright red roid induced rage face, hammer in hand pumped up, tatood no neck gym nutter.  Luckily the lights changed before he got close enough and I slipped through before he could get back in his van.  Phew, he was scary massive!  Made sure I went a different way to work for a couple of weeks.

I'm sure that once he caught sight of your boyish good looks, he had second thoughts about rearranging your face Nige.

Around 1999 / 2000 I bought my first Porsche, 1987 LHD 3.2 with BBS. Drove it every day to work and back - never once let me down.

055E6D79-7BEC-4B3F-829C-F56EC6C2A280.thumb.jpeg.f88d216d6b93c794002ae5030a5d9de0.jpeg

Purchase year: 2000
Seller: Private
Price: £7,500

Saw 248kph on the speedo one time on a private road - dont think I'd dare go that fast these days too old and sensible.

Edited by jevvy

Model: 911 3.2  - its the one I still own!

From: Private individual selling it in Porsche Post, car located in the Wirral

Price paid: £14.5k

When: 8th Dec 1995

My first drive was in a Red SC Cab in Cyprus - it was owned by my cousin who let me use it whilst on vacation there!

3D666033-203B-4B0E-A3EB-AE6F79581626.jpeg

Edited by Beaky

Model: 1980 SC Targa

Where purchased: Walnut Tree Automobiles (from a same aged Mr 911 - Clive Maughan)

Amount paid: £17,500

Year of purchase: 1988

• Like 1

1984 911 3.2 Coupe

£15K from Autofarm selling car on behalf of expat.   1st owner ex-Bahrain PM and member of Royal Family (so I was told? and name in drivers manual matches a Google Search!)

Still have - Great Buy (i.e. zilch rot anywhere!) 

3 hours ago, Nige said:

Nige you need "LA Muscle Vasculator" !

Age 29

1982 LHD 911 SC, Grand Prix White

Paid £9.5K from a dodgy dealer in Marlow and sold in 2006 for £6.5K. All the usual issues and then some. 

My first drive was a manual 928 earlier that year. £4.5K but Cat D so I passed. Beast.

Second drive was a 71 911T. Arizona import, 2.2 with the dogleg 901 box. £8K, but sun damaged. Lovely but I didn’t know what I was looking at back then.

David

April 2001, so I'd have been 35. I paid £6.5k for an '82 RHD SC targa with about 100,000 miles on it from a bloke in North London. It was the least rusty of a few I'd seen yet was very rusty. Brakes seized on on drive home and engine bay was full of flopped sound pad and pine needles. Berber cloth was swopped for sports leather, brakes rebuilt..... Then it was off the road for a couple of years while the everything else was rebuilt! 

I'd previously owned a beautiful MkI MGB roadster in BRG, but it was SO nice I felt I couldn't leave it anywhere on the streets if I used it for weekends away etc. A targa therefore was ideal, so I spent 2 years and a small fortune making the 911 too nice to leave on the streets if I use it for weekends away etc....!! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lesworth said:

Gosh, I had to google that to see what it was in old money

Yup it was a once only pedal to the metal late night adventure, took a good few miles for the adrenaline shakes to fade ;) 

• Haha 1

Age 37 1997  986 Boxter (2.5) £35k  Porsche Brighton (maybe Hove actually)

Kept for 3 years - at beginning used to have people crossing petrol forecourts to look at it as it was one of the first. By the end had 'couldn't you afford a real Porsche?' continually ringing in my ears.

1 hour ago, runnersp said:

Model: 911 SC

Purchased: from a barn, yeah, I was doing barn finds before it was cool.

Year of purchase: 2007

Amount paid: €8000

Amount spent to put right: disconcerting

Amount spent to put right: disconcerting = LMAO!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, longman said:

1991 944S2 , purchased 2005 for £5000 aged 39 ..

1726358671_test020.thumb.jpg.2a0066d8434867f122d20114a60fbdf5.jpg

I didnt know you came into porsche world via the 944, no wonder you low over-steer-fear!

Edited by jevvy
  • Like 1