Importing into Europe

Oli

Not got the answer for you, but whoever has will also need to know some other factors to give an answer.

• Age of car
  • Country of export and import
  • Original country of manufacture
  • Personal/business import
  • Length of ownership if personal
  • e.t.c

I am waiting to hear from the individual for confirmation of what country but it appears he is asking "exporting the car back to EU/Uk" so it looks like UK.

Age of car 44yrs old

Country of export and import USA

Original country of manufacture Germany

Personal/business import personal

Length of ownership if personal 8 yrs

• e.t.c

There is relief from full Duty/VAT under the Transfer of Residence rules if goods have been owned for long enough prior to return.

There was also Return Goods Relief if the goods were originally exported from the EU, that may have changed post BREXIT.

I believe these have to be applied for in advance of the importation, but he needs to get some up to date expert advice.

I brought a whole container of goods back from the US some years ago without having to pay any Duty or VAT. I could have brought my ex company BMW back at a very low Duty rate, but I sold it local for a good price instead.

Mark

There is relief from full Duty/VAT under the Transfer of Residence rules if goods have been owned for long enough prior to return.

There was also Return Goods Relief if the goods were originally exported from the EU, that may have changed post BREXIT.

I believe these have to be applied for in advance of the importation, but he needs to get some up to date expert advice.

The vehicle would be going to the UK as its new residence. I have owned the vehicle since 2013 and might be purchased by someone in the UK

outside of europe ( USA Japan asia) is depending on country 16%  - 20% into the EU and 10% on top. this goes for regular cars. quite expensive.

older cars sometimes have classic taxes which are more modest,

UK have their own rules which im happy to admit I do not have a full overview of. 

Into the UK. 

If vehicle is British made (used to be European made bit with Brexit not sure if this still applies) Value of vehicle as declared and shipping costs, + VAT at prevailing rate.

If vehicle is over 25 yrs old and "of historical interest" (everything seems to be!) VAT at 5%, no duty.

If vehicle coming manufactured outside EU, then vehicle value+Shipping + 10% Duty, and VAT on the top of all of it.

Please note that there are many exceptions if you are a returning resident, UK is two vehicles assuming you have owned them for more than 12 months.

Into Italy

No ownership requirement, but have to arrive within 6 months of residency being granted.

There is a vehicle registration company in the EU which offer a work around if what your importing is prohibitively expensive, fees wise.

• 3 weeks later...

Fetched a couple of SCs over from California, you’ve just got 5% tax on old porsches older than 30 year old. The shipping and some unpacking charges this end normally handled by Kingstown, I normally organise shipping in US as it’s cheaper. 

• Like 1

It's 5% on 911s. The shipper should know all this. A little more on EU cars nowadays but worth it given how rare some things are. I almost brought an old Citroen GSA back just before Brexit - missed that one. Was in the south of France and tricky to get down there.

I am kept ticking over with NOVA valuations on all sorts of stuff  - not just Porsche - so there are still plenty of cars and bikes coming into the UK.

5 hours ago, johndglynn said:

It's 5% on 911s. The shipper should know all this. A little more on EU cars nowadays but worth it given how rare some things are. I almost brought an old Citroen GSA back just before Brexit - missed that one. Was in the south of France and tricky to get down there.

I am kept ticking over with NOVA valuations on all sorts of stuff  - not just Porsche - so there are still plenty of cars and bikes coming into the UK.

John,

Is it still the case after Brexit that if a car has been previously registered in the UK and is being re-imported that no Duties/taxes will be due?

Cheers

Jon

21 hours ago, Jon Miller said:

Is it still the case after Brexit that if a car has been previously registered in the UK and is being re-imported that no Duties/taxes will be due?

Not come across that one yet mate - just a question of time though. If it was UK and is coming back to the UK I don't see why not. HMRC will not charge VAT on VAT.

Only small hassle may be if you are asked to prove that VAT was not reclaimed when it left. I have been asked that before on an EU-Switz-UK car and had to pay the VAT at the time. I don't think it would be an issue on an older car as they are not VAT qualifying and UK records would probably be available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2021 at 13:20, Jon Miller said:

John,

Cheers

Jon

I think this only applied if it was the same person - a change in ownership "resets" things.

And the 5% VAT on cars over 30 years old is only relevant if the car is substantially original/unmodified.