Am I the first IB member.......

SilverWT

2 hours ago, Phill said:

We spent Xmas and new year there 18-19 and it was amazing. We used Vamos rent a car who were great. We did 4 centres through the middle and west coast. Hope to get back there the year at some point. We are planning to buy there when I retire - 25 1/2 months but I'm not counting......

Lucky chap, where are you thinking of buying, we only did a bit of the west coast as it was rainy season that side

My favourite place was Manzanillo, had real relaxed Caribbean vibe, at the very bottom of the east coast, could easily live there during the dry season spending my time swinging in a hammock counting sloths, eating cerviche and surfing 😎

8 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Lucky chap, where are you thinking of buying, we only did a bit of the west coast as it was rainy season that side

My favourite place was Manzanillo, had real relaxed Caribbean vibe, at the very bottom of the east coast, could easily live there during the dry season spending my time swinging in a hammock counting sloths, eating cerviche and surfing 😎

It's likely to be somewhere on the Tamarindo Peninsula or down around Uvita on the southern west coast. Strangely there is a Manzanillo on the Tamarindo Peninsula too. Montezuma was fantastic but a little out of the way but a new road was going in while we were there. We were supposed to be going back in February but that didn't happen of course. Plan is to visit a couple more times to scout out different areas and then rent somewhere for a few months as soon as I retire to get the proper feel. Me and Mrs Phill have slightly different ideas of what we want so it's important to do the research. 

We also stayed in La Fortuna and Arenal, near the volcano, and both were spectacular. Christmas decorations and Father Christmas in the tropics and 30 degree heat is quite surreal. 

I am convinced there really isn't a downside to Costa Rica.

21 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

Wow, sounds dicey.

You have to live dangerously to prove your alive!

Last year, March 2020, we only got back from St Lucia a couple of days before they closed all the hotels. All adds to the adventure.

Wow, sounds dicey.

Last year, March 2020, we only got back from St Lucia a couple of days before they closed all the hotels. All adds to the adventure.

Wow, sounds dicey.

11 hours ago, Phill said:

It's likely to be somewhere on the Tamarindo Peninsula or down around Uvita on the southern west coast.

I liked Costa Rica, but mainly been on the Pacific side. Not sure I would want to live there though, probably OK if you like rice and beans. ;)

Mark

45 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

Not sure I would want to live there though, probably OK if you like rice and beans. ;)

Just 5 or 6 months of the year, can't have too much of a good thing............

4 hours ago, SilverWT said:

Well in November 2019 I got some kinda weird flu in New York on my birthday - cheers.    My missus then caught it from me.   I kept passing out on the long haul back.   Spent the rest of the year and most of January so wiped out we couldn’t do anything but sleep.    

Not sure that adventure proved anything!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SilverWT said:

I liked Costa Rica, but mainly been on the Pacific side. Not sure I would want to live there though, probably OK if you like rice and beans. ;)

Mark

If you like living dangerously you'd have enjoyed our drive through Kingston during rush hour in a tiny hire car without sat-nav 🤔

When we hire a car on our travels I always ask for the 'return the car in a bin bag with no excess charge' option and super size up

Never know when you might need to batter your way out of a sight seeing trip to get back to the hotel 

Edited by World Citizen

58 minutes ago, Jonny Hart said:

Well in November 2019 I got some kinda weird flu in New York on my birthday - cheers.    My missus then caught it from me.   I kept passing out on the long haul back.   Spent the rest of the year and most of January so wiped out we couldn’t do anything but sleep.    

Not sure that adventure proved anything!

Do you think it might have meant you never know when your time is up so just do it? 

Well, I've just booked our PCR tests with Boots. What a palava! If you are going to do this book early. Appointments that fit the necessary time slot are thin on the ground and not very convenient. 

You have to register, upload your passport and pay the exhorbitant fee and then book your appointment. It's only then you realise the scarcity of appointments. 

Coming home will be easier and cheaper because you can do a home testing PCR kit and send it off. However, make sure you order the kit before you go so it is ready and waiting when you get back.

13 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

Riding pillion on the back of a motor bike through rush hour (basically any hour) Bangalore was pretty intense.

I've travelled and worked in India on many occasions, it’s a fascinating and intriguing place, but the traffic and road etiquette is insane, boy you are brave to ride pillion.

It has a peculiar rhythm to it, from the outside is looks like a crazy ants nest, everything darting to all sorts of directions, stop, start, left, right, yet it still seems to flow and know each others movements :wacko:

I always had a car and driver, I'm wasn't that brave.

1 hour ago, Phill said:

Well, I've just booked our PCR tests with Boots. What a palava! If you are going to do this book early. Appointments that fit the necessary time slot are thin on the ground and not very convenient. 

You have to register, upload your passport and pay the exhorbitant fee and then book your appointment. It's only then you realise the scarcity of appointments. 

Coming home will be easier and cheaper because you can do a home testing PCR kit and send it off. However, make sure you order the kit before you go so it is ready and waiting when you get back.

We use a company called Better2know for all our testing. Very easy to deal with:

https://www.better2know.co.uk/page/covid-19

23 hours ago, Beaky said:

I've travelled and worked in India on many occasions, it’s a fascinating and intriguing place, but the traffic and road etiquette is insane, boy you are brave to ride pillion.

It has a peculiar rhythm to it, from the outside is looks like a crazy ants nest, everything darting to all sorts of directions, stop, start, left, right, yet it still seems to flow and know each others movements :wacko:

I always had a car and driver, I'm wasn't that brave.

I was wearing shorts and flip flops too :blink: