Wheeler Dealers?

SurlySurdi

Just watched Brewer and Antstead do a TR7. What on earth has happened to this program? It’s 50% Brewer waffling on talking inane drivel, very little substance now. I really used to enjoy this show especially with Ed China, I now know why he left. 

I still watch it - Ant Anstead is great but agree its spoilt by Brewer. But then its is his show so to speak. Why do these programs have to do all the fake banter etc. It actually embarrassing to watch and I fast forward those bits if I can be bothered. Hoping that the UK series may lose some of the 'showboating' that seems to be mandatory on US focused car programs. I don't hold out much hope. I prefer a select group of ongoing youtube resto project videos although some of these have started to become more focused on product placement and spending 10 minutes reading through a list of sponsor names.

Edd was great but I have really warmed to Ant (who was good on Love of Cars etc). What I have seen of the new UK guy Priestly (Elvis as he is known) I am not sure I am going to warm to as much.  Brewer is just becoming a caricature of himself and seems to enjoy that fact.

Agree with most of the comments above, more Edd / Ant and less Mike.  Favourite TV show like this at the mo is Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars, just feels less forced, otherwise it's online stuff that shows how stuff gets done.

Flippin Bangers - has been the goto car show since Xmas when if I get an hour to myself. Contrived like all other shows but at least some actual spannering and skill in the improvements they make and done to earth cars. The two presenters seem commercially inept which winds me up and 'they pull me back in' to comment and participate in their antics. - Keeps me happy.

Can't get into the new Geezer Dealer since Ed China parted company with the show, surprised after 3 years he hasn't resurfaced on a Top Car Programme yet.

1 hour ago, Barty said:

Can't get into the new Geezer Dealer since Ed China parted company with the show, surprised after 3 years he hasn't resurfaced on a Top Car Programme yet.

From what I have seen he reviews vans on a you tube channel of some sort.

I agree that YouTube is fantastic, so many great vids that are full of useful info, If I need a help on anything when working on my cars, google, then videos is the answer

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit off topic for a Porsche forum and many of you may have found it already but Project Binky has got to be one of the unltimate project series on YouTube.

Two guys craming the running gear from a Celicia GT4 into a classic mini, the amount of fabrication they get into is insane. It's been running since 2013 so no contrived 'full strip, paint and rebuild' within a week nonesense here. You need to get past the first couple of episodes where they are essentially just ripping an old mini apart to the point they start with the fabrication and engineering to squeeze it all back together but it's well worth it.  Generally they manage about 1 episode every 6 months!

Even their series ripping apart an old truck to use as a race car hauler/camper is oddly entertaining...

Edited by RocketMonkey

What happened to Ed China?...did he get pissed-off with Mike Brewer’s inane chatter and East End ‘Diamond Geezer’ persona?  Do agree with all the comments, miss the spannering of Ed and really like Ant; guess these programmes have to cater for the non-mechanically minded and have general entertainment value for those of limited attention span?....bit like Trump I guess!!

• Haha 1

Story goes that the producers wanted to reduce the amount of spannering coverage and he took the hump. They then brought in the very annoying Ant Anstead. I understand that in the next series Mike will team up with the ex F1 mechanic who was on the recent dream car trading up series. I quite liked him but Ed is still missed although the format had probably run its course

I can't stand Mike Brewer, especially his ridiculous handshake 🤣 it just annoys me. 

More spannering and less bullsh*t required. Plenty other programs out there for the non mechanically minded

• Like 1

Edd China answering interview questions, including why he left Wheeler Dealers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-41nLtleX0

Forgive me if you've seen it already, but here's the pilot for his Garage Revival show featuring a Mk1 Golf GTi in Norway (where they have somewhat tougher regulations).  Great to see the footage of the modded car being driven in the snow.