911 Restoration at Dunmow Coachworks

MATTYBOY

My 3.2 is being restored by Dunmow Coachworks in Essex and today I visited to check on progress for the first time. Both Jason and Nick who run the business are Porsche guys and, having carried out great work for me in the past, it was an easy choice choosing them to restore my P & J.

Despite looking in really good condition there were a couple of rust bubbles appearing  and I was in no doubt that some rot had set in to the inner front wings and drivers side kidney bowl / sill area

Thankfully now she is stripped down things are too bad and the inner sills are all good, but I do need to replace the drivers side wing as it’s pretty rotten along the top edge. I have been offer a good wing from a 964 but I’m not sure if it will fit? Any advice gratefully received!

As thing progress I will post some more pictures and once all the rust is taken care of she will receive a fresh coat of Grand Prix white... Roll on summer!

1FFF5325-FFCC-4762-A73F-7A8BF608DFA4.jpeg

DE70DF15-65D0-421E-A378-6EE8A92C907F.jpeg

3668B126-80AA-4953-84E5-54E35C4EC5C7.jpeg

E7A29CC2-1022-4E85-9690-7F6A65180D9A.jpeg

ACBEC754-551C-426C-B9FC-C0D76EE7264D.jpeg

554E8330-9131-481C-B98A-9803A5CE056A.jpeg

7CE00B7E-E961-40A2-A890-BC624AF783C7.jpeg

B30D1942-2979-4764-BFDC-C1874D29A45A.jpeg

4E1FC670-BE9C-4106-A51B-212980A1188E.jpeg

140757AC-1CB5-45B8-B7B4-E6B785B75529.jpeg

F97C2A23-451B-44D0-A7E3-42B3427D873F.jpeg

231F3864-804E-4F77-A400-BCAEEEB0326C.jpeg

D715A3BC-AC59-4C38-94E0-AE59DCAA89FC.jpeg

1 hour ago, MATTYBOY said:

I’m located in Bishops Stortford. They seem pretty happy with the overall condition, we were all expecting worse. Fingers crossed nothing more sinister is found when they start on the kidney bowls.

Looks like the rot I had on my 3.2 , got mine done at Sportwagen , and hello from Stansted Mountfitchet 👋🏼 

10 hours ago, Beaky said:

I heard lots of good recommendations for Dunmow coachworks, sons Boxster needs refresh so will venture over once we are allowed too

Definitely worth the ride out. Jason and Nick are both top lads and have painted several of my cars over the years. I have always been delighted with their work.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress update.

I went to visit the boys at Dunmow Coachworks and things are progressing nicely.  All the glass is now out and I'm relived that the bottom of the windscreen recess and scuttle area are solid in both corners. We decided that the drives side front wing is beyond redemption so a new one was ordered and duly delivered from Porsche.

The kidney bowl and sill on the drivers side had bubbling (passengers side is all good) so this has been cut back and exposed and thankfully the rot is localised and not as bad as we thought. The front of the kidney bowl is rotten but the sides are solid so this can be repaired with minimum disruption to the car, which is what I wanted,  and a small area of rot was found on the passenger side outer sill which has been cut out and can have a localised repair. Thankfully all the inner sills on both sides are rock solid.

Next week they are hoping to start on the fabrication work.1211077340_KidneyBowlExposed.jpg.bf3210cb4cd9a982f9e942c3c59865a0.jpg

Bumpers back to bare.jpg

Front Wing Top Mount cleaned.jpg

New Front Wing 2.jpg

New Front Wing.jpg

Passanger side Sill Repair.jpg

Side View if Sill Repair.jpg

Top of Sill.jpg

Side Window 2 Out.jpg

Stripped Bumpers 2.jpg

Stripped bumpers.jpg

Windscreen Out.jpg

Edited by MATTYBOY

On 21/02/2021 at 12:10, MATTYBOY said:

Next week they are hoping to start on the fabrication work.1211077340_KidneyBowlExposed.jpg.bf3210cb4cd9a982f9e942c3c59865a0.jpg

Top of Sill.jpg

I hope they are cutting out significantly more than what is shown in these pics? 

• 1 month later...

I went to visit Dunmow Coachworks earlier this week and the car is coming along very nicely. Both kidney bowls have now been repaired and the rear lower wings refitted and the new closing panels let in. The kidney bowls are now covered in a thick rubberised coating to hopefully prevent problems in the future.  A number of minor rust repairs have been made to the front inner wings and the front bumper mounting are. Jason's metal work and fabrication is top notch and he has cut out any areas of rust he found, no matter how small, and let in fresh metal. Little details make a job, such as matching the position of the original factory spot welds on the new closing panels and adding the small pimples found around the door latches on the original factory panels.

Once complete the inner arches are going being treated in the original colour factory underseal, which on my car appears to be an off white / cream colour before the oil cooler pipes etc are refitted and then hopefully in the next few weeks the car will be ready for painting. 

I have opted to fit a flat rear engine cover but will keep the original cover and spoiler in case in the future someone wishes to return the car to standard.

Hopefully all being well the car should be back for me enjoy over the summer.

thumbnail_IMG_5850.jpg

18 Finished Kidney Bowl with Anti Rust Coating.JPG

16 New Closing Panel.JPG

4 New Metal Let In.JPG

8 Anti Rust Rubber Coating Internal.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_5853.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5852.jpg

• Like 2

• johndglynn changed the title to 911 Restoration at Dunmow Coachworks

They just did a front end on my son's Boxster, now a few bits and bobs on my Boxsters, MX5 next!

Going up to today to swap cars over, will have a peek at your IB

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Beaky said:

They just did a front end on my son's Boxster, now a few bits and bobs on my Boxsters, MX5 next!

Going up to today to swap cars over, will have a peek at your IB

Pop round on the way back for a cuppa?

5 hours ago, longman said:

Pop round on the way back for a cuppa?

Good to see you again Paul, and thanks for the chat and coffee.👍

As for the SL500, what a stunning great classic Merc you have got yourself there, I Loved it.

Edited by Beaky
  • Like 1

A few more pictures as things progress. The front inner wings have now been fully undersealed which should hopefully protect her for years to come and the bumper, bonnet and side sills have been prepped ready for paint. 

Front Inner Wing Underseal 2.jpg

Rear Inner Wing Underseal.jpg

Bumpers & Sills in Primer.jpg

General Shot of car.jpg

• 1 month later...

The body restoration is now reaching the final stages and to say I'm am delighted is an understatement. The car has been fully painted and is now in the process of being refitted, so hopefully within the next couple of weeks she will be coming home just in time for summer. 😍

Paintbooth 2.jpg

paint booth 3.jpg

paintbooth 9.jpg

Paintbooth 5.jpg

Drivers Side Painted.jpg

Door Painted.jpg

Inner Arch Painted.jpg

Batter Box Outer Finished.jpg

Innrer Arches with WaxOil to Vunerable AreaS.jpg

Battery Box Finished.jpg

Door Hinge Panel Painted.jpg

D rivers Door Shut Painted.jpg

Fuel Filler stone chip.jpg

Fuel Filler Finished.jpg

Rear Screen Recess Finished.jpg

Windscreen Surron Bottom finished.jpg

wAX OIL TO INNER ARCH.jpg

IMG_5434.JPG

• Like 2

I’ve had a few cars repaired by the boys recently, I always take a quick peek at your car, it’s coming a long lovely and they seems very happy with the results so far.

that reminds me I need to ask them about my bumper mod!

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped mine off at Dunmow on Wednesday for the bumperette delete, saw yours finally all put together and looking very handsome, lovely 👍