Battery

sheep911uk

Knowing that "what battery," can easily turn into a "tyre," or "oil" thread (and turn into the opening of Pandora's box), I have a Varta on my car which is now 8 1/2 years old.  It's gets occasional conditioning and seems to work perfectly still...which disconcerts me as it must be on borrowed time. 

I have a Bosch in another car that has done nearly 8 years and still seems to work but I have a marginal (and possibly irrational) preference for the Varta.

If it’s an occasional use car and you keep it on a conditioner/trickle charger then smaller than you think is the answer. My SC has a battery about 1/2 the size and 1/2 the weight and it is 100% fine. 

• Like 1

Bosch silver I think. about 1/2 size but cranking amps are more than enough, total Ah (battery capacity) is less but I don't leave the car for days on end anywhere not on it's trickle charger. 1/2 size, 1/2 weight, 1/2 cost......

21 hours ago, Phill said:

Get the equivalent from Halfords with a 3 year guarantee, job done.

^This

19 hours ago, Chris T said:

If it’s an occasional use car and you keep it on a conditioner/trickle charger then smaller than you think is the answer. My SC has a battery about 1/2 the size and 1/2 the weight and it is 100% fine. 

^ and this

I have run one like this for 4+ in my SC

Yuasa HSB063 Silver 12V Car Battery 5 Year Guarantee

and this lightweight beauty for 6+ years in my 3.2!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/92-2T/IMAG1343_zpsodjes5wi.jpg

Be aware, Varta, Bosch, Halfords, etc. are all made in the same Chinese factory with the same materials (just different casings and stickers), as are most OEM batteries. The industry was consolidated and Brand names sold off many years ago, there are not many manufactures left. As an example Bosch have not made Bosch batteries since 1992.

The benchmark today for quality batteries branded by the actual manufacturing company is Yuassa.

Mark

18 minutes ago, sheep911uk said:

Thanks all

Will buy a full size and be more disciplined and remove when not in use

Or, drive your car :whistling:

I leave mine permanently  on a CTEK battery charger/conditioner when the car is not in use - which is most of the time at the moment due to lockdown and salty (very!!) roads.👍

6 hours ago, SilverWT said:

Opps, used an old Photobucket link that probably does not work, 3.2 battery

IMAG1343.thumb.jpg.467d71e4b1c9b94f04beb121cca2b930.jpg

Probably not what you’re after, but just wanted to add that I’ve also been running similar. On my second one but it’s done really well this winter - a good 4-6 weeks between runs and it’s been fine, even left connected without a trickle charger. They’re only £40 as well. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111177129078 

Edited by Northy

1 hour ago, Northy said:

Probably not what you’re after, but just wanted to add that I’ve also been running similar. On my second one but it’s done really well this winter - a good 4-6 weeks between runs and it’s been fine, even left connected without a trickle charger. They’re only £40 as well. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111177129078 

Question, Will you not also need to adapt the bracket or get a Braille battery clamp to hold one of these in place?

Edited by Beaky

15 hours ago, Northy said:

Yeah you’ll need an adapter and a strap - loads of simple ideas for them on here. 

E.g.

If you are going for the "normal" sized smaller battery like I used in the SC, there are no mods needed. The original battery tray in the car has a second threaded hole further back along the tray that works with the original hold down clamp. I have the second hole in both the CS and 3.2 and so assume it was standard.

Mark 

• 3 weeks later...

Any more info? Any sounds when turning the key? Any lights come on on the dash? Do the headlights/indicators/horn etc work?

You did install the battery the correct way around, didn't you? :unsure:

Give it a good rock back and forth in gear to see if it is the starter. Do you get a click at the starter?