Yokohama A008P - A new option?

Beaky

19 hours ago, Nige said:

Toyo still do that size.  Just has a pair fitted for £115 each.

How are you finding the new Toyo TR1's (its a newer tread pattern that the originals).

My original's worked well until they reached around 5/6 years old when they quickly seem to go off.

Bridgestone and Conti seem to have the same level of grip at that age as when new.

Well they're a massive improvement on Toyos already fitted as they were well past their best so difficult to compare.   For the price I don't think you can fault them, I've installed Toyos for most of it's life with me.

I need new rears and have narrowed my choice down to these four:

Toyo TR1 245/45/ R16

Yokohama A008P 245/45 R16

Continental PremiumContact 6 225/50 R16

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 225/50 R16

1 hour ago, Beaky said:

I need new rears and have narrowed my choice down to these four:

Toyo TR1 245/45/ R16

Yokohama A008P 245/45 R16

Continental PremiumContact 6 225/50 R16

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 225/50 R16

My observation is the MPS4s are brilliant tyres BUT if the temp is less than 4C they go really hard on you and it’s quite noticeable.

10 hours ago, GrahamTompkins said:

My observation is the MPS4s are brilliant tyres BUT if the temp is less than 4C they go really hard on you and it’s quite noticeable.

Interesting as I’ve got them on all my cars and find them very capable, even at low temps. Fantastic in the summer & really grip like rocking horse ....

Apologise for being controversial but why would anyone put 2 rear tyres of a different brand from front?

Fit new tyres on rear when fronts are 4+ years old especially on basis that a 911 will require 2 sets rears for fronts during this cycle.

Tyres are the only contact point with the road and it’s a performance car so new rubber will always give best grip/performance and a set is normally sub £500 fitted. Over 4/5 years, when rubber is going hard, it’s a low cost to change, ensure safety for owner or car and ensure best piece of mind enjoyment and security when driving hard or in all types of weathers.

I just don’t get it?

A very valid question.

I put a new complete set of Conti's on in October 2017, the front as still very good, but the rear one of which was repaired late last year have around 3mm of tread left and need replacing.

I would go for the same Conti's but 245/45 are no longer available, hence looking for suitable alternatives.

I may just bite the bullet and change all 4.

Beaky, since your post above, I didn't even know that Pilot Sport PS4 were available in 225/50/R16!! Thanks for enlightening me.  I'm going to be popping those on mine when I get round to changing my inevitably square tyres.  16x8/9 but i'm not too concerned about running 225 on the back 👌

• Like 1

Most tyre to wheel fitment charts say the minimum size you should put on a 9 is 235, the maximum 265.

A silly question, I wonder if a 225 tyre would invalidate ones insurance 

Edited by Beaky

13 hours ago, JamieB911 said:

Interesting as I’ve got them on all my cars and find them very capable, even at low temps. Fantastic in the summer & really grip like rocking horse ....

Agree, very capable tyres and brilliant grip in summer particularly when pushed hard but the trade off is that the winter performance is significantly worse when pushed..when I say worse, the rubber is much harder at low temperatures to the extent that I notice it..sensibly I restrict my hooliganism to when I can wear a t-shirt 😏 

Don't shoot the messenger !

I have written to both Continental and Michelin tyre companies both have said at present they have no plans to make 245/45 R16 tyres 😬

They also didn't recommend stretching 225 over a 9" tyre, nor did several Indies for that matter.

One indie did say that the original Yokohama A008P was a very good tyre and his preference over the TR1.

I forgot to add, they did recommend  going to 8" and the Michelin PS4 being a brilliant tyre!

Edited by Beaky

57 minutes ago, Beaky said:

I have written to both Continental and Michelin tyre companies both have said at present they have no plans to make 245/45 R16 tyres 😬

That doesn't surprise me, I don't think there are any other cars that use that size.  Whenever I've have enquired for pricing at tyre centres they always know it's a Porsche just on the size I quote.

On 22/02/2021 at 23:51, Beaky said:

One indie did say that the original Yokohama A008P was a very good tyre and his preference over the TR1.

Do you know if the current A008P has an updated rubber compound compared to the original?

2 hours ago, WP0ZZZ said:

Do you know if the current A008P has an updated rubber compound compared to the original?

I would assume so, maybe worth asking Yokohama directly  

1 hour ago, WP0ZZZ said:

In that case I would be quite surprised if it performed better than a modern tyre like the Toyo TR1.

I have send an email to Yokohama to clarify what compound they are using, I do know it has passed Porsche testing and is N rated  

I remember having A008 tyres on a Toyota GT, long time ago. I was impressed with them, but they didn't last long.

This could also be an option, Yokohama track day tyres. I had a look the prices of these a couple of weeks back, but I see stock now seems to be an issue.

Either way, they are not cheap.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/advan-a052

7 hours ago, jellyfishfields said:

I remember having A008 tyres on a Toyota GT, long time ago. I was impressed with them, but they didn't last long.

This could also be an option, Yokohama track day tyres. I had a look the prices of these a couple of weeks back, but I see stock now seems to be an issue.

Either way, they are not cheap.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/advan-a052

Everyone I know who has tried the A052 on track has been blown away by their performance. 

However, I would be hesitant to use them on a car that's driven mainly on the road.