The New GT3

Beaky

My old Cayenne is a fat lardy thing, not this. I don't think I'd be disappointed if I was handed the keys, unless I was asked to park it at Tesco or in a multistory or anything other than parent and toddler....

I love it. The new hood vents and the swan neck wing are just gorgeous. I've heard the price is going up 10K in April and the Touring will be available about that time too. They had me at wishbone suspension, rose jointed and 510hp! Must be amazing to hustle on a B road at warp speed 

Edited by Busybee

They could hardly make one slower than the last one - so if that's your frame of reference, then it should float your boat.  Those same 'improvements' make a poor choice for B roads or the Alps, etc.  Sure its fast, but that's part of the problem. Sure its fun, but lots of other cars are more fun.  The clue should be what Porsche shows you in the promo.  Its all about the racetrack.  Its developed by race engineers.  That's what its good at.

Doesn't matter anyway, coz for 99% of the buyers its just a big fat piece of jewellery.  Or an opportunity to flip.

• Like 3

Its still an amazing engineering feat and I wouldn't say no if someone gave me the keys, but as Richard says how often and on what type of road can you really exploit it.

I have friends with the previous generation 991 GT3, and RS’s and they are blindingly quick and capable, but around very twisting challenging roads, they were no quicker that other 911’s, Caymans, etc. which required much more driver involvement (the fun bit) to hustle them around .

15 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Let’s be fair, all modern performance cars are pretty much overkill. But they’re still amazing bits of kit. 

BC1794F4-22A2-47A8-AD49-23CBC685476F.jpeg

Agree 100% but it needs gold wheels

Still think most sport car manufacturers have denied new car buyers of a golden era of lightweight, smaller and more nibble cars suited to everyday driving instead of focusing on the track driving experience

11 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Agree 100% but it needs gold wheels

Still think most sport car manufacturers have denied new car buyers of a golden era of lightweight, smaller and more nibble cars suited to everyday driving instead of focusing on the track driving experience

Still out there. Fiesta ST, new Yaris thing. They're just cars I'm not interested in anymore. If I was in my 20's again I'd aspire to a fab boxster or cayman 981S and feel like a dog with 2 ****'s! 😂 

2 hours ago, Busybee said:

Still out there. Fiesta ST, new Yaris thing. They're just cars I'm not interested in anymore. If I was in my 20's again I'd aspire to a fab boxster or cayman 981S and feel like a dog with 2 ****'s! 😂 

Not really, still too lardy. What Steven means,I believe, is something light like an old mk2 Golf gti at sub 900kg. An early mx5 maybe. Everything new is too heavy. Im even starting to think my SC is too heavy at under 1200kg!

3 minutes ago, Phill said:

Not really, still too lardy. What Steven means,I believe, is something light like an old mk2 Golf gti at sub 900kg. An early mx5 maybe. Everything new is too heavy. Im even starting to think my SC is too heavy at under 1200kg!

Yup I had a MK1 Golf GTi back in the late 80's and I loved it. Kids these days are on the whole not interested I've found. I've got 6 20/30 something nephews. They like the look of my cars and I've taken a few of them out for a spin in Daisy. They loved it. But talk to them and its the electric cars that turn them on. The more gadgets the better etc. Think its a rare kiddy these days who looks for a light weight performance car over a battery powered car from Tesla or BMW  

Proper driver orientated performance cars have always been a bit niche though?  How many of your friends when you grew up had something pretty special for a car?  For me it was not very many at all!  Aren't proper lightweight (sub 1000kg) performance cars are a thing of the past purely down to ever-increasing safety standards?  The only way to really achieve this now is to build a kitcar... 🤔

• Like 1

I was totally un-excited about this launch must admit. Instantly thought just another bloated GT car with too much grip and power to have fun anywhere except on track. Add in all the driver aids and where's the visceral feel and excitement knowing your pushing the car's and your own limits? To me the last of the GT3 range to do that and properly engage you was probably the 996 and 997.  This thing will do ballistic speeds with computers making all the corrections in the background :sleep:

Manual one of these with carbon buckets, club sport pack, standard brakes, few extras👌In a line up of sports cars, corrr.
I must be the only one on here that loves the latest porker offering. I’m basing this on my Spyder which is just a sensational drive. Add 80hp, another 1000rpm and even more trick suspension etc, this will be sublime I’m sure.  

1D68B965-185C-4E2B-97F9-493E6F3293D7.jpeg

49627172-7DAF-4A34-BC72-E9638167D534.jpeg

B0DA2D29-E8FE-477F-8E99-1C0D2B7DDA9E.jpeg

1 minute ago, Richard Bernau said:

Nobody is doubting it is good and its certainly a nice sparkly piece of man jewellery*.

* my daughter would say definitely compensating for something

😂😂 your daughter is doubtless wise beyond her years