Meet Ralph -1970 ST project.

rich73

Hi There,

I'm finally starting this project that I’ve had stored for the past few years. I’ve still got the 1987 3.2 Carrera, AKA  Rolf , now a track car lightened with full cage.  Still a few jobs to do its basically finished, need to lower and sort the Geo but the car seems much more responsive after the engine rebuild and weight loss.

Rolf seemed like the answer to everything but not long we after got him, on a trip to Le Mans Classic we  fell in love with these 2 cars, I’d never even  heard of an ST.

1783950475_bluest.thumb.jpg.f6e70f8d548f15a22594b84faf53bca5.jpg936810168_yellowst.thumb.jpg.196f348e090d566994a9d4aa1b72df60.jpg

So I came up with plan,  prices of early seemed so keep rising so decided  buy  before they went up any more and store. Imagine my partners joy when this arrived to take up space and generally be in the way. It’s a 1970 T without sunroof originally Sepia Brown that originates from Oregon.  Car came complete with 1969 T engine and 5 speed 901 box of unknown origin.  Smashed windscreen,  missing panels and RSR arches with 7 inch wheels complete the look.

20210215_153728.thumb.jpg.893e699f7467a731ad907008f1716e1d.jpg

20210215_153017.thumb.jpg.0a9c749346cbcdd265d7ca0eab5744b1.jpg

Original plan was build an ST as authentically as possible, getting Nick Fulljames to build a 2.3 twin plug from the engine that came with the car. Over time I started to have a rethink. As the car will be used for weekends away and euro trips  I realised that I should be building a car with the intended use in mind.   

So sold the 69 engine and managed to get hold of a 3.0 SC 930/10 engine which seemed more appropriate. Idea is to do all the usual  ST mods such as  Steel arches, centre fill, roll bar but with a more appropriate engine and the odd luxury hidden away like electric air con.

I’ve decided to approach this build in a more structured way than I’ve ever done before with defined project phases

Phase1 - Mostly planning and prep work. 

Phase 2 - Aim is to end up with a fully restored bodyshell and panels with all ST modifications carried out. Shell and panels painted with panels fitted.

Phase - 3 Aim is to fully assemble, resulting in a drivable road legal car. Car will have minimal interior and external fittings. This will be dependant on engine and gearbox condition which are currently unknown.

Phase 4 - The goal will be a  finished car suitable for euro trips. This stage will be things done based on priority, time and cost. Examples include engine, gearbox rebuild. Update of electronics to improve reliability, Electric air conditioning.

Phase 5 - Releasing that it will never truly be finished this will include the hunt for an original 10K tacho, suspension modifications etc.

I’ve also done a schedule for a restoration for the first time. Started on Monday 15th Feb, Phase 2 to be completed on 6th June…….. maybe. I’ll do a full build thread on DDK but post the odd update here. 

Rich

20210215_153713.jpg

20210215_153540.jpg

20210215_152905.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rich73 said:

Started on Monday 15th Feb, Phase 2 to be completed on 6th June…….. maybe.

I’ll do a full build thread on here but post the odd update on DDK

Rich

Fixed your post for you 😉

Ace project Rich, everyone on here likes a good hot rod build or anything build so please copy paste you're DDK updates so we can enjoy following all the progress as it happens

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...