Fuel filler blockage?

I have a 1984 Carrera 3.2, ‘relatively’ newly acquired (given lockdowns) and so only refuelled twice.

I can see a piece of metal at the junction of the fuel filler neck and sleeve. This is stopping me inserting the fuel pump nozzle past this point.

Is this normal for these cars?

E1AAB319-86B0-4763-AAD8-003268645875.jpeg

Edited by Jonny99

Normal, also best way to fill is to twist the pump handle around so its more vertical and the grip/lever side faces across the car rather than down to the floor like you would normally.

• Like 1

No it stops it from going further in, which is quite shallow to be honest.  The filler neck changes direction there quite acutely so I guess a petrol pump nozzle could get stuck if inserted too deeply 😳

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 16vjay said:

Why should you use the fuel nozzle upside down?  What does that affect?  Have always fuelled mine normally and not had any problems.

Same as Les, just seems to fill up easier without the pump air locking and less splash back.

1 hour ago, 16vjay said:

Why should you use the fuel nozzle upside down? 

Our cars were designed before the advent of forecourt pumps with built in safety overfill cut-outs. Some pumps are just too sensitive and keep cutting out on our cars when used in a conventional orientation. Using the nozzle "upside down" stops the problem.

Mark 

1 hour ago, Nige said:

You must still have petrol pump attendants in Norfolk and a choice of 2, 3 or 4 star?  ;)

Yes, I'm close to having a Cortina's-worth of Green Shield Stamps!