Removing the dash

omalleym

Hi there

A few years ago I trimmed the dash of my 1987 3.2 Carrera in nappa leather and the top part (above the glovebox) has started to turn baggy so hence why I need to remove the dash and have it secured better.  At the moment I'm not sure how easy or difficult this is and whether I need to remove the windscreen to do this? Depending on the sources I have read I get different answers.   

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

M

Right_Angle_Z_Shaped_Offset_Slotted_Phil

Depending how strong the fitter was you may have some luck with something like this to get to the screws along the front edge, you have nothing to lose by giving it a go...

1722369252_ScreenShot2021-03-08at15_41_20.thumb.jpg.76141072f1f3305c2990c3b6c52514ff.jpg

3 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Right_Angle_Z_Shaped_Offset_Slotted_Phil

Depending how strong the fitter was you may have some luck with something like this to get to the screws along the front edge, you have nothing to lose by giving it a go...

I have a set like this, will see if they reach this evening and let you know

• Like 1

It was a bit of a squeeze and you'll need patience but that part of the dash could be removed.

You may also find a miniature racket works as well, I have one of these and very useful in many other applications

https://www-de.wera.de/en/great-tools/the-zyklop-mini/

https://products.wera.de/en/zyklop_ratchets_and_accessories_zyklop_mini_bit-check_10_zyklop_mini_1.html

Edited by Beaky
  • Thanks 1

Loving that mini ratchet, may well have to get me one of those :smiley-good-post-sign:

I removed and refitted the dash top on my 1988 3.2 Carrera last summer, and can confirm that the windscreen does not need to be removed. This should be the same for all G50 models, including your 1987 Carrera.

The 5 (or 6?) screws for the top plate (pictured in Jevvy's post) should be angled towards you, so just needed a standard screwdriver. Definitely didn't need to order any special tools.

Then pop out the gauges and the air vents and you should have access to the nuts holding down the dash top.

Mine was stuck down pretty solidly even after removing the nuts but, as yours had been removed previously, then it should be relatively easy to push the dash top up and out. I seem to remember having more problems putting it back in than removing it...