RIP Murray Walker and Sabine Schmitz

Yup just heard, sad news, he did have a good innings right at the forefront of motor sport.

A true gent, and enthusiastic. We don't seem to get these characters any more that have the ability to connect with enthusiasts and the casual observer alike.

One personal memory of Murray that stands out. Donington Park 1984, first truck grand prix. On the outside of the chicane (Goddards?), and he was chatting to a photographer when someone in the crowd shouts out: 'Get down Mr Walker!' At which point, he apologised, and dropped down onto his knees so he wasn't in the way of the view of the crowd.

At Silverstone Classic in recent years he always found time to chat, no matter who you were, just an enthusiast like him.

RIP Murray, you will be much missed.

A sad day for sure. There were some great memories on Sky last night after the testing coverage ended. Ted asked Lando about his memories of growing up listening to Murray's commentary and turned out Lando was 2 when Murray retired. A funny moment.

I read an interesting piece in mother-in-law's Telegraph this AM about his entry into the army. He was commissioned into the Scots Greys "by a pompous squadron leader who was disappointed to find that his name was not Murray-Walker". Made us laugh.

RIP Murray - what a life.

I was lucky enough to have met him many times during my years working on F1. Commentary became boring after he retired, with an honourable mention must also go to sidekick James "er actually Murray" Hunt. 

Ah now that is very sad.

I knew she was ill with cancer and as I had not heard anything in a while feared the worst 😞

Life's a lottery guys. Enjoy it while you can.

RIP Sabine.

• mean in green changed the title to Murray Walker and Sabine Schmitz RIP

I guess she wasn't responsible for the qualifying position!

Minimal use of the brakes, keeping everything smooth so as not to unsettle anything, thus carrying the speed.

• johndglynn changed the title to RIP Murray Walker and Sabine Schmitz