Replacing the board in the door cards

TargaWayne

Has anybody tried replacing the board in door cards? The leather(ette) on mine is in good condition, but the boards are warped and rotten in places. In an effort to be a bit more recycling/repair minded (and save some cash), I've thought about getting some 3mm hardboard and having a go, but wondering if anybody else had tried it?

Hardboard will work fine but will will be prone to damp. As Rich says something like foamex will be much better and give a bit more flexibility and be much easier to cut holes etc.

Southbound sell pre-cut treated hardboard door cards with all the correct holes part-cut for speakers, handles, window switches etc. cut them out if you want them, don't if you don't need them. Surprisingly affordable from them too! I gave mine a cat of varnish 'just in case' 

Chris

13 minutes ago, Chris T said:

Southbound sell pre-cut treated hardboard door cards with all the correct holes part-cut for speakers, handles, window switches etc. cut them out if you want them, don't if you don't need them. Surprisingly affordable from them too! I gave mine a cat of varnish 'just in case' 

Chris

A timely reminder as I need to do a pair soon - thanks.

45327525_ScreenShot2021-03-17at09_11_06.thumb.jpg.06ee965f2e570a904edac772bf782bd2.jpg

https://southboundtrimmers.com/files/Trade Pricelist 2021.pdf

That's probably cheaper than the equivalent amount of foamex. What do Southbound makes theirs from?

45 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

Try marine plywood, it will resist moisture

Not after you have cut it to shape and made it full of holes.......

I do just happen to have some to hand!

Yes, it will take a staple easily but they do pull out easier than in something like fibre/hard board, as the core is softer that might be a problem.  It also dents easily if you plan to use it bare

Any exhibition display outfit or sign writers will loads of scrap for you to experiment with.

Edited by Nige

On 17/03/2021 at 12:45, Nige said:

I do just happen to have some to hand!

Yes, it will take a staple easily but they do pull out easier than in something like fibre/hard board, as the core is softer that might be a problem.  It also dents easily if you plan to use it bare

Any exhibition display outfit or sign writers will loads of scrap for you to experiment with.

Ha brilliant - thanks Nige.

If I give some a go I will report back.

On 23/03/2021 at 17:59, jevvy said:

Ha brilliant - thanks Nige.

If I give some a go I will report back.

I'm not convinced by the Foamex. I've put up many signs made from it and it doesn't grip staples well and they can tear it. When covering with leather/leatherette, you need to put some tension in it to avoid it sagging and looking like Nora Batty's stockings, that's what the staples are there for in the first place, rather than just glue.

First I need to see if I can get the coverings of my old door cards without destroying them. Nothing ventured...... 

• 4 months later...

I know the thread is a little old but it feels like one people might refer to in future.  

3mm foamex is perfect and enough for two door cards shouldn't cost more than about £20-£25 if you shop around. Foamex is waterproof, self-extinguishing and takes a staple well - I didn't have probs with them pulling out.  I used my old (warped and frayed) door car as a template, then cut the foamex with a Stanley knife, except for the round holes, where I used a hole cutter - a sort of compass with a Stanley knife blade on the end.  Covered the door cards with 3mm scrim (£6/metre x 140cm) using contact adhesive, then pulled the vinyl (bought from Segal Motor Trimming Ltd - £40 for flame retardant) taut and stapled it in place. I used black soft tie down straps (£10 for a pack of 12 in various colours. of Amazon) for the door close pull that were threaded through some stainless steel webbing eye straps that cost £1.20 each from a boat chandler - they just bolted into the same holes as the door handle. The RS style door pulls and the plastic trim they pass through cost £20 off ebay. I also used VAG door clips which cost buttons on ebay.

Results aren't perfect - I still put membranes on for some reason and didn't trim them quite right - but they are perfectly acceptable and didn't take that much time or cost that much money to do.

P7205012 - Copy.jpg