Pre silencer

AdamMJ

Hi folks, wondering if anyone can offer any advice on how the Design Tek pre silencer sounds with a standard (ish) back muffler? Whilst I would love to fit SSI’s, can’t quite afford it at the moment, so hoping the pre silencer will make it a bit more raspy without too drone. Many thanks

The standard pre silencer is already straight through. It is a perforated pipe and there is no packing in the shell, see pic below.

IMAG1649.thumb.jpg.637b1224edb0a3273398fb5cd441e69a.jpg

If you have a std, non-sports rear silencer you will get a minor increase in sound by replacing the pre-silencer with a straight pipe. If you have anything like a sports rear silencer (60 mm tail pipe), or above, you are unlikely to notice a difference. 

What car is it? SSIs are really designed to work on 3.0 and below engines.

Mark

Hello, my car is an ‘81 3.0 sc. it has a Turbo Thomas stainless back box which sounds fine but not ‘raspy’ like a Dando seems to. I was wondering if it was the stock pre-silencer that was deadening the sound

Thanks for the advice :)

If you like the raspy tone then really you should just hold out for some SSIs. They must be about the best “bang for buck” thing you can do to an SC, not just their metallic sound but the way they change the feel of the engine as well. It’s a very noticeable difference and you’ve already got a proper silencer after all.