Front tyre size recommendations

omalleym

Hi there 

My 1987 3.2 carrera needs its 16inch 7j front tyres replacing and it currently has 225/50s on them.  The manual recommends 205/55s and I know that the internet recommended range for 16inch 7j wheels  is between 195 and 225 on width and 40 to 55 on wall height.  Curious to see what members recommend and use on their cars.  The only brands I can see where you can get OEM recommended sizes for both front and back are Toyo or Yokohama.

thanks 

M

17 hours ago, omalleym said:

245/45 goodyear eagles

So if you want to match the rears then you will have to go 205/55 which will give away a little ultimate grip bit will make the steering a bit lighter, feel a bit more nimble and provide a touch more tyre sidewall height and compliance.

If you want to stick to the 225/50 then you will have to look at a different brand to the rears.

245/45R and 205/55F is a nice combo for road use.

14 minutes ago, omalleym said:

thanks so much, have you tried 195/45s on the front or is that too skinny and low? I quite like the prospect of it feeling more nimble particularly at lower speeds.

Too skinny and too low profile, would look odd and handle like a shopping trolley :)

How old / worn are your rears? Perhaps a longer term view if the rears are already half worn / very old might see you move away from the Goodyear and fit a front tyre that will match a rear you will fit next year - just a thought.

Nothing wrong with the goodyear, I ran them for many years with no complaints.

5 hours ago, jevvy said:

245/45R and 205/55F is a nice combo for road use.

To be honest I find the 205/55 profile on the front slightly out of sorts with the rear as the profile it gives on the front is a touch taller than the rear.  On paper it's about 3mm difference 110mm v 113mm so 6mm to overall wheel height, if my maths is right and obviously this depends on and rim width once fitted.  I ran this size for years along with 245/45 on rear, I then changed to 205/50 for the fronts and they look so much better balanced with the rear.

Edited by Nige
  • Like 1

Top image is 205/55 on the fronts and you can just make out the side difference.  Bottom image is same car and same rims but with 205/50 and it's a better match and not skinny.  I also had to roll the arch lips when it was an Impact Bumper, I didn't on on the 205\50s.

205-55.jpg

205-45.jpg

Edited by Nige