New member - First air cooled 911.

Hi all, 

Just wanted to say hello. I finally pulled the trigger on a 911 SC after many months of debating whether it was a good idea or not, finally decided life is too short not to! 
I’m going to put a flat engine lid on it but apart from that plan to keep it looking pretty stock. I’ll hopefully get to drive it a few miles this summer see how I like it and if it’s going to be a keeper I’ll see about get the shifter and suspension brought up to date, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. 

cheers 

James

B7DF6F65-744B-4221-A65C-8B119040B1A2.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks. Interior is blue, leatherette and blue pasha, the pasha is due to a retrim at some time, it left the factory with black and blue Berber cloth seat inlays. 

347EF33A-95B7-4F8C-BBF1-3D4C1A6EB862.jpeg

Welcome James, nice car and hope you enjoy it.  You will find that these cars get better the more you use them so get some miles in as soon as you can.  Plenty of detail on here about shifter and suspension mods so have a search and read what others have experienced.

Very nice, welcome onboard. Perfect timing for the nice days and relaxing of rules, you are going to enjoy it 👍

Cheers Both, yep defo plan to put a few miles on it, in fact just been for a 20 mile spin round the block this evening 👍

On 30/03/2021 at 13:27, James said:

Hi all, 

Just wanted to say hello. I finally pulled the trigger on a 911 SC after many months of debating whether it was a good idea or not, finally decided life is too short not to! 
I’m going to put a flat engine lid on it but apart from that plan to keep it looking pretty stock. I’ll hopefully get to drive it a few miles this summer see how I like it and if it’s going to be a keeper I’ll see about get the shifter and suspension brought up to date, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. 

cheers 

James

B7DF6F65-744B-4221-A65C-8B119040B1A2.jpeg

That looks lovely- is it colour zinnmetalic by any chance?

Ps a flat lid will look just perfect imho😍

Enjoy Fin

40 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Yes, nice looking car.  An '83 SC is superb, trust me!

Thanks, I didn’t particularly set out to buy an SC but now I’ve got it I’m not disappointed at all. Have you had yours long? Any advice?

21 minutes ago, zoot said:

That looks lovely- is it colour zinnmetalic by any chance?

Ps a flat lid will look just perfect imho😍

Enjoy Fin

Cheers! Yes that’s right, it sort of has a gold tint to it in certain light, it looks way better in real life! 

I quite like the rear wing but think it’s maybe a bit much on a non turbo car, I also think it detracts from the classic rear lines of the car. I’m not going to bother with the rear wiper either when I get the flat lid sorted, they’re pretty hopeless and I don’t think they add anything to the looks..I think it will look much better 👍

1 hour ago, Justin689 said:

Welcome,

very similar colour to mine😉 if the car and you can connect, then there is no way going back 

I’ve also got a 997.2 c2s manual which tbh is a better car in every way to the SC, but already I find driving the SC much more fun in every way. It probably helps that my daily drive is a LR defender so I’m used to a few rattles and a gear box that can’t be rushed 😂😂

Hmm, a Zinnmetalic '83 SC with flat lid...

... where have I seen one of those before?

IMAG1915.thumb.jpg.a01afa9e03fa15b12e1660583d45eec2.jpg

5 hours ago, SilverWT said:

Hmm, a Zinnmetalic '83 SC with flat lid...

... where have I seen one of those before?

IMAG1915.thumb.jpg.a01afa9e03fa15b12e1660583d45eec2.jpg

Nice! That looks really good, exactly what I’m going to do 👍 

Are they 8” rear wheels and has it been lowered a bit too?

Welcome to our addiction, rehab is no solution, but driving it as hard and as often is :ninja:

That's a lovely car with a great colour combination 👍

3 hours ago, Beaky said:

Welcome to our addiction, rehab is no solution, but driving it as hard and as often is :ninja:

That's a lovely car with a great colour combination 👍

Cheers 👍 

Seems I’m never happier than when I’ve got a hobby/addiction that keeps me permanently skint so this might work out well 😬

7 hours ago, James said:

👍

Are they 8” rear wheels and has it been lowered a bit too?

Yes and yes.

Search for Zinn Twin for previous threads.

Mark

Enjoy, I still remember my first 911 (79 targa still owned by an IB member), addiction indeed, i've had 14 since.

I love the SC personally, and yours is great colour!

On the flat lid idea, first drive yours over 100 MPH, then remove just the rear whale tail (not the whole lid) and the front chin spoiler under the front valance and drive the exact test route again. Choose the handling of which you prefer from your test. 

For me in that particular test, I felt my SC defiantly felt more "squat" (pushed down on to the road) at high speeds, which I much preferred over the looks. Might have just been me, but for that reason I put them back on. For sure looks better without. That said, the IMO 3.2 whale tail looks better than your version, which could be a decent compromise.... 

8 hours ago, Strictly said:

Enjoy, I still remember my first 911 (79 targa still owned by an IB member), addiction indeed, i've had 14 since.

I love the SC personally, and yours is great colour!

On the flat lid idea, first drive yours over 100 MPH, then remove just the rear whale tail (not the whole lid) and the front chin spoiler under the front valance and drive the exact test route again. Choose the handling of which you prefer from your test. 

For me in that particular test, I felt my SC defiantly felt more "squat" (pushed down on to the road) at high speeds, which I much preferred over the looks. Might have just been me, but for that reason I put them back on. For sure looks better without. That said, the IMO 3.2 whale tail looks better than your version, which could be a decent compromise.... 

Great idea about the test run, although I’ve already given a chap the job of sorting the flat lid (I plan to to keep the lid with spoiler too so can chop and change) ...I don’t think I’ve driven at 100mph for more than a few seconds in my life 🤣🤣

I totally agree that the 3.2 whale tail looks way better, I did in fact consider just swapping the whale tail, but I somehow still prefer the flat lid

12 hours ago, sjwright944 said:

Welcome.

SCs are great. You will probably get addicted.

Enjoy.

10 hours ago, JLewis said:

Lovely SC.

2 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

Welcome James.  Great looking SC!

Cheers thanks chaps 👍

I was looking at your website last night Jonny, really interesting, especially your CDI+. Something else to add to the list! :)

• Like 1

Wonderful car and I love that interior.

Mine has a 3.2 tail - which was news to me when I came on here.

The flat back look is growing on me though; weird! Given enough time I might even actively like the lines of the Targa! 😉

• Like 1