New member - First air cooled 911.

1 hour ago, JohnTurbo said:

Wonderful car and I love that interior.

Mine has a 3.2 tail - which was news to me when I came on here.

The flat back look is growing on me though; weird! Given enough time I might even actively like the lines of the Targa! 😉

39 minutes ago, jehatwhitland said:

+1 - great cars.  Have fun!

Thanks both, I must admit I’m enjoying the SC so far more than any water cooled Porsche I’ve had!
I like the fact you can have a good blast without driving it ridiculously fast, and I can’t get enough of that sound! (I was told the exhaust was changed to stainless SSI exhaust system helps in the noise department?!) ..I think it’s pretty awesome! 

23 minutes ago, James said:

Thanks both, I must admit I’m enjoying the SC so far more than any water cooled Porsche I’ve had!
I like the fact you can have a good blast without driving it ridiculously fast, and I can’t get enough of that sound! (I was told the exhaust was changed to stainless SSI exhaust system helps in the noise department?!) ..I think it’s pretty awesome! 

I'm doing the SSI mod to mine currently. Its hurt me in the wallet but the sound was previously uninspiring compared to my BMW 328i engines kitcar that positively snarls without bing mega [too] loud.

The main thing I was after was the knowledge that its a well designed system (torque AND power) well made and won't rot!

On 01/04/2021 at 22:34, James said:

Thanks, I didn’t particularly set out to buy an SC but now I’ve got it I’m not disappointed at all. Have you had yours long? Any advice?

It all depends on what you want from the car (I backdated and lightweighted mine) but generally, I'd say:

- the single best thing I've done to my car is to fit Bilstein dampers: Sportstrasse (fast road), which are colour coded yellow these days

- then lower it (maybe 20mm or so) and set the rake, camber, caster and toe, using more camber than standard (lots of advice on this forum)

- fit the Classic Retrofit CDI+ ignition box (using an early, black, Bosch coil, which your car probably already has).   Then if you go for 964 cams, get an ignition map from Classic Retrofit, with fixed/clamped mechanical advance-retard and the solid rotor arm from a 3.2

- fit the Classis Retrofit fuseboard for reliability and better headlight beam (and fit Osram Nightbreaker bulbs)

- and if it suits you, fit a Wevo gear shifter and Precision Shift Joint.

And I agree: the 997 C2S is a better car by any reasonable measure - except fun!

17 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

It all depends on what you want from the car (I backdated and lightweighted mine) but generally, I'd say:

- the single best thing I've done to my car is to fit Bilstein dampers: Sportstrasse (fast road), which are colour coded yellow these days

- then lower it (maybe 20mm or so) and set the rake, camber, caster and toe, using more camber than standard (lots of advice on this forum)

- fit the Classic Retrofit CDI+ ignition box (using an early, black, Bosch coil, which your car probably already has).   Then if you go for 964 cams, get an ignition map from Classic Retrofit, with fixed/clamped mechanical advance-retard and the solid rotor arm from a 3.2

- fit the Classis Retrofit fuseboard for reliability and better headlight beam (and fit Osram Nightbreaker bulbs)

- and if it suits you, fit a Wevo gear shifter and Precision Shift Joint.

And I agree: the 997 C2S is a better car by any reasonable measure - except fun!

Thanks for the advice, funny a lot of what you suggest are the areas I’ve been considering improving. 
I am  planning to take the car to Centre Gravity as they’re not far from me and have them look at the suspension, maybe just refresh all the bushes etc for the time being but see what they suggest about any upgrades to dampers.  It’s very unlikely I’ll ever use the car on a track (although I live prob only 4-5 miles from Donington) so a standard set up would suit me fine I would think. I think lowering the car would make it look better but I’ve no idea if it would improve its handling so I’d need advice on that...

Ive been looking at the rennshift, I’ve read a lot of positive reviews on it and  I’m also pretty confident that’s a little project I can do myself...

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

I replaced all mine with SuperPro polybushes - another very worthwhile upgrade.

Better off with Fenn Lanes bushes: CG will advise on what is best. :twocents:

Hi James! 

nice ride there buddy! Mad actually as I too just jumped in and my car is very similar to yours 911 sc 1982 zinc silver 🙌 

you mentioned your close to donnington where about a are you I’m based in hucknall 

All the best

Jonathan 

On 10/04/2021 at 18:04, Jono said:

Hi James! 

nice ride there buddy! Mad actually as I too just jumped in and my car is very similar to yours 911 sc 1982 zinc silver 🙌 

you mentioned your close to donnington where about a are you I’m based in hucknall 

All the best

Jonathan 

Cool nice one! .. hope you’re enjoying yours as much as I am mine! 

I live just outside loughborough - I was thinking of maybe driving to the odd East mids Porsche club meet this summer if they go ahead, I’ve never been to one before but think they meet once a month somewhere Derby way?