Fitting super pro bushes to outside arb mounts

Flat 6

Was all set to put front arb back in again after a suspension cleanup and bought Ben’s super pro bushes for the arb. I want to fit them to the outside since these are harder to replace and presumably super pro will last longer.

So removed the standard black rubber bushes that I had already fitted into the suspension arm and thought I’d just ‘pop in’ the super pro bushes. Can I get those feckers in??? There just isn’t enough give to get it started. 

Anyone done this and want to tell me the secret. Can they be heated, for example, to make them more pliable? I can already advise others to lube the suspension arm bracket and not the bush!

And why oh why did a company like Porsche come up with such a stoopid system for a part that needs fairly regular replacement. What’s wrong with a good old drop link anyway...

Al

That seems strange. When I did mine way back when I don't remember any issues, just slipped in. Are you sure they are the right ones? Getting the arb back in wasn't too bad, arm yourself with some decent ratchet straps.

Poly bushes can be quite inflexible if they are cold, pop one in a cup of hot water to warm it through, coat the housing with plenty of

their silicone based lubricant or KY gel..

An afterthought as I'm typing this, they are split, yes??

1 hour ago, saab4249 said:

Poly bushes can be quite inflexible if they are cold, pop one in a cup of hot water to warm it through, coat the housing with plenty of

their silicone based lubricant or

KY gel..

An afterthought as I'm typing this, they are split, yes??

This has been a tough evening on here.....................

Thanks all,

They are identical in size and shape to the new rubber ones I had inserted a few weeks ago and would have been using until Ben's Superpro's came up.

So split, harder purple numbers, with some lube included (calm down Matt).

Usual technique is to fold the longer piece above the split inside the lower piece so reducing the size of the bush and allowing it to enter the housing. I think my fingers have lost some strength with a long winter of keyboard use and no car work. I can fold the bush up nearly as tight as the rubber ones but just not quite enough to get it all into the housing at once. 

I will try the hot water trick in the hope that it will make it more pliable. I had also thought of wrapping one end with a single layer of duck tape to keep it compressed while I wrestle it in.

Photos of me inserting my purple rubber thing into the hole thing are available on subscription. I've run out of innuendos now so I'll report back soon.

Al

• Haha 1

Not surprised these are hard to fit. The outer lip is quite a bit larger than the OEM rubber ones.

DE9324A6-329A-4F35-A080-0F877A556DFA.thumb.jpeg.1b8521ac7d32055848f750caf54654a1.jpeg

having another go now by adding some heat. May remove a little to round off sharp lower corners.