Suggestions for trip from Barcelona to Santander in June 4-5 days

Hi, I will be travelling to UK in my 1987 911 Targa from Barcelona (where we have been living last 4 years) and plan to take ferry from Santander end of June. We would like to enjoy some nice driving roads, take it easy and spend 4-5 days travelling there from Barcelona. Any suggestions, tips would be appreciated. We will of course have to keep an eye on travel restrictions etc but at this stage that is our plan A!

Buy a copy of Curves Pyrenees and use as much of that as you can- this one only in German but the routes and stopover recommendations are all good.https://www.curves-magazin.com/en/magazine/curves-band-4-pyrenaen/

Was going to do this in reverse April/ May last year and then get ferry to Mallorca and do Curves Mallorca -https://www.curves-magazin.com/en/magazine/curves-10-mallorca-ab-7-dezember-im-handel/ ( this one in English too)  postponed to this year - now postponed to next year!

Yep. When we have done Pyrenees we use Curves to find routes and there are plenty. Make use of the Paradors for great food and beds! (Sos del Ray de Catalonia is a particular fav!)

I have routes plotted that I can share but maybe best just to find where the road (and book) takes you as there are so many options. Both French and Spanish side are great but very different (French very green Spanish very Amrit) so try a bit of both. 

The N-260 in northern Spain is superb (although bear in mind I've only done it on motorcycles or in a Caterham Seven - it's that kind of road).

Reasonable/nice places to stay/see:

Hotel Terradets on the lakeside at Cellers, south of Tremp on the C-13

Lunch or coffee stop at La Morera in Castejon de Sos on the N-260 (and get a sticker for the car)

The Plaza Mayor up in the old town in Ainsa is a lovely square for lunch.  There's a public car park a short walk from the square.  Also a choice of three smart hotels up there, if you're feeling flush, one of which has its own underground parking

Broto is a lovely village with a choice of hotels and a good restaurant (Las Endrinas) and a reasonable pizzeria (La Tea) and a walk to the impressive Sorrosal waterfall

The Hotel Casbas, south of Biescas, is adequate, with a good restaurant

Hotel Real Jaca & Spa in Jaca is quite smart, with secure underground parking.  A short walk from the hotel, up a flight of steps, takes you into the old town, which has lively bars and restaurants

Hotel Restaurante Castillo d'Acher in Siresa is a simpler hotel with a table d'hote dinner (you get whatever they're cooking and they put a bottle of red wine on the table whether you've asked for it or not).  A few paces away, the village bar is run by the locals.  Both establishments tend to be cash only, and very little English is spoken.  Siresa is a fairly humble farming village with pleasant views, part-way up what becomes one of the most beautiful valleys in the Pyrenees

Heading further west, the Hostal Orialde in Ochagavia (on the NA-140) is a favourite (very smart rooms, nice food).  They speak no English at all, but I guess that won't be a problem for you

The A-176 from Echo via Anso to Roncal/Erronkari (two languages) is a lot of fun and generally has little traffic

There are several good passes over the Pyrenees to explore (e.g. Portalet, Larrau) but my favourite is Col de la Pierre St Martin on the NA-137, north of Roncal/Erronkari, which explains why I know so many places to stay in that part of the world.  And if you fancy lunch in France, go over the Col and follow the N132 to Arrete and eat at the Bar-Restaurant Gouaillardeu

If you're feeling more flush, go over the Col de Larrau and follow the D26 down into Larrau and eat at the Hotel Etchemaiite

If you've got time for a 'city' visit, the centre of Burgos is beautiful.  We always stay at Meson del Cid, opposite the cathedral.  It has secure garage parking but you'll need all your ingenuity to navigate to it (tip: need to approach from the western side, not via the Cathedral square)

Finally, if you need accommodation near Santander, we always stay at Posada Mies de Villa in Somo.  It's a short drive round the bay from the ferry port.  Let Ricardo and Teresa know you're coming and they'll have cold beers waiting for you.  They might cook, or can direct you to a choice of restaurants in Somo.

I know I got a bit carried away there, but I hope that helps.

Edited by GimmeShelter
  • Like 1

For me it would be roughly the following 

Barcelona to Olot - don't know this route but you probably will - you just need to get to Olot 

Olot to La Puebla de Segur

https://goo.gl/maps/mpEbyu9mAF92

Use the C16 to join the N 260

La Puebla de Segur to Biescas 

https://goo.gl/maps/MCU7TBPQrKz

N260. There are a couple of good diversions here if you want to explore a bit - post if you want more detail

Biescas to San Sebastian - Santander

https://goo.gl/maps/FiNdXCNcWf82

https://goo.gl/maps/RBjdpnMbHLF2

Should point out  I downloaded those maps from somewhere but cannot remember where!!

Edited by Roy M
Add info
On 09/04/2021 at 19:03, GimmeShelter said:

The N-260 in northern Spain is superb (although bear in mind I've only done it on motorcycles or in a Caterham Seven - it's that kind of road).

Reasonable/nice places to stay/see:

Hotel Terradets on the lakeside at Cellers, south of Tremp on the C-13

Lunch or coffee stop at La Morera in Castejon de Sos on the N-260 (and get a sticker for the car)

The Plaza Mayor up in the old town in Ainsa is a lovely square for lunch.  There's a public car park a short walk from the square.  Also a choice of three smart hotels up there, if you're feeling flush, one of which has its own underground parking

Broto is a lovely village with a choice of hotels and a good restaurant (Las Endrinas) and a reasonable pizzeria (La Tea) and a walk to the impressive Sorrosal waterfall

The Hotel Casbas, south of Biescas, is adequate, with a good restaurant

Hotel Real Jaca & Spa in Jaca is quite smart, with secure underground parking.  A short walk from the hotel, up a flight of steps, takes you into the old town, which has lively bars and restaurants

Hotel Restaurante Castillo d'Acher in Siresa is a simpler hotel with a table d'hote dinner (you get whatever they're cooking and they put a bottle of red wine on the table whether you've asked for it or not).  A few paces away, the village bar is run by the locals.  Both establishments tend to be cash only, and very little English is spoken.  Siresa is a fairly humble farming village with pleasant views, part-way up what becomes one of the most beautiful valleys in the Pyrenees

Heading further west, the Hostal Orialde in Ochagavia (on the NA-140) is a favourite (very smart rooms, nice food).  They speak no English at all, but I guess that won't be a problem for you

The A-176 from Echo via Anso to Roncal/Erronkari (two languages) is a lot of fun and generally has little traffic

There are several good passes over the Pyrenees to explore (e.g. Portalet, Larrau) but my favourite is Col de la Pierre St Martin on the NA-137, north of Roncal/Erronkari, which explains why I know so many places to stay in that part of the world.  And if you fancy lunch in France, go over the Col and follow the N132 to Arrete and eat at the Bar-Restaurant Gouaillardeu

If you're feeling more flush, go over the Col de Larrau and follow the D26 down into Larrau and eat at the Hotel Etchemaiite

If you've got time for a 'city' visit, the centre of Burgos is beautiful.  We always stay at Meson del Cid, opposite the cathedral.  It has secure garage parking but you'll need all your ingenuity to navigate to it (tip: need to approach from the western side, not via the Cathedral square)

Finally, if you need accommodation near Santander, we always stay at Posada Mies de Villa in Somo.  It's a short drive round the bay from the ferry port.  Let Ricardo and Teresa know you're coming and they'll have cold beers waiting for you.  They might cook, or can direct you to a choice of restaurants in Somo.

I know I got a bit carried away there, but I hope that helps.

thats awesome, thanks!

On 10/04/2021 at 08:47, Roy M said:

For me it would be roughly the following 

Barcelona to Olot - don't know this route but you probably will - you just need to get to Olot 

Olot to La Puebla de Segur

https://goo.gl/maps/mpEbyu9mAF92

Use the C16 to join the N 260

La Puebla de Segur to Biescas 

https://goo.gl/maps/MCU7TBPQrKz

N260. There are a couple of good diversions here if you want to explore a bit - post if you want more detail

Biescas to San Sebastian - Santander

https://goo.gl/maps/FiNdXCNcWf82

https://goo.gl/maps/RBjdpnMbHLF2

Should point out  I downloaded those maps from somewhere but cannot remember where!!

great, thanks very much

I've just remembered another favourite: if you fancy a visit to the coast, Hotel Las Rocas in Castro Urdiales.  It has secure garage parking, and is at the south-eastern end of the promenade.  Walk the length of the promenade in the evening to the castle / old town area and there's a choice of restaurants, including traditional tapas.  Castro Urdiales is like a smaller San Sebastian.

If you can bear the effort of venturing into San Sebastian, then Hotel TRYP Orly is very smart and has underground parking (although the kerbs/ramps are spoiler-scrapers) and is only one road back from the (beautiful) seafront.  It is a bit pricey, mind you, like the rest of San Sebastian.