Sunroof clutch

ajd

Sunroof not working - need to do some investigation but suspect I have either some cable issues or perhaps the rear clutch may have gone which it seems can split. 

Given a new clutch is £120-130 (!) for what seems a simple rubber part, I wonder how it actually works and if any 3D printing could be applied. Is there a keyed part around one shaft that moves within the rubber part to perform a slipping function at each end of travel? Or is it just rubber to reduce loads/shocks into the motor at the end of travel? 

Should have explained. My symptoms were a slow and intermittent sunroof movement. Unzipped the headliner until I could see the clutch. Operating the sunroof showed which end was slipping so I put a jubilee clip around that side of the clutch and tightened it until it stopped slipping. This retained the shock absorption but got me the drive back.

Thanks Roy - can you remove the clutch it easily after undoing the two screws that hold the gear to the two cables? Or did you need to remove the whole motor assembly? 

Honestly can't remember - probably did this 20 years ago!

I didn't know the car well then though so it must have been easy or I would have been looking for help!

If you're in no hurry I can take a look  in a couple of days

Cor the sunroof motor headlining zipper is stuck really fast. WD40 no effect so far.

Annoying a my headliner is not torn (yet) but will be if I have to apply much more force. 

:(