North Coast 500

Hi All, planning to do the NC 500 with a couple of friends in July, looking for any recommendations please, which B&B's, best overnight stop locations, what must we see, even if its off the the actual route a little. we will be allowing 7/8 nights actually on the route.

Thanks in advance Drinky

Hey Beaky, I did a slightly cut n shut version of the NC500 back end of last year with some pals.

We did the route clockwise and skipped most of the East coast section as it apparently quite dull compared to the West.  Although we did come back via the old military road over Cairngorms national park, which was fantastic!  Very fast roads if that's what you're in to.

West coast is mainly single track roads but plenty of overtaking points when you come across slow moving traffic (aka campervans).  The scenery is breath taking.

We based ourselves out of Ullapool for 2 nights, did a mini North route circuit 1 of the days, which was nice as you can leave all your stuff at the B&B and not have to worry about getting to certain points for certain times.

One thing to note, which may not affect you directly if you are taking your IB, is fuel stops!  My car runs on Super and there are limited fuel stops up in the North that sell it.  I think Ullapool may even be the highest place up in the west that sells it.  I got around this with Jerry can and emergency octane booster for when I had to put some regular in the car.  If you're taking your 911 then fuel won't be an issue with our big 85L tanks, but you mentioned you're going with others so worthwhile noting in case they need to plan a bit more.  I was seeing under 200 miles from a full tank :steering:

I would recommend trying to drive over the Applecross pass, which is way off the beaten path.  It's an experience with stunning views.  Very steep roads though and it will be littered with campervans and insane cyclists.  Read that as LOTS of stop starts and crawling in slow moving traffic, but worth it for some good fish n chips at the bottom by the sea.

If you're going in July, you may want some good bug spray as I hear the midges can be a bit "bitey" around that time of year.

Main thing though is enjoy! 

Oh and get yourself a good action cam for vids and good camera for obligatory photo shots :D

Look forward to seeing the post trip photos 

1 hour ago, Sidewaysfun said:

Hey Beaky, I did a slightly cut n shut version of the NC500 back end of last year with some pals.

We did the route clockwise and skipped most of the East coast section as it apparently quite dull compared to the West.  Although we did come back via the old military road over Cairngorms national park, which was fantastic!  Very fast roads if that's what you're in to.

West coast is mainly single track roads but plenty of overtaking points when you come across slow moving traffic (aka campervans).  The scenery is breath taking.

We based ourselves out of Ullapool for 2 nights, did a mini North route circuit 1 of the days, which was nice as you can leave all your stuff at the B&B and not have to worry about getting to certain points for certain times.

One thing to note, which may not affect you directly if you are taking your IB, is fuel stops!  My car runs on Super and there are limited fuel stops up in the North that sell it.  I think Ullapool may even be the highest place up in the west that sells it.  I got around this with Jerry can and emergency octane booster for when I had to put some regular in the car.  If you're taking your 911 then fuel won't be an issue with our big 85L tanks, but you mentioned you're going with others so worthwhile noting in case they need to plan a bit more.  I was seeing under 200 miles from a full tank :steering:

I would recommend trying to drive over the Applecross pass, which is way off the beaten path.  It's an experience with stunning views.  Very steep roads though and it will be littered with campervans and insane cyclists.  Read that as LOTS of stop starts and crawling in slow moving traffic, but worth it for some good fish n chips at the bottom by the sea.

If you're going in July, you may want some good bug spray as I hear the midges can be a bit "bitey" around that time of year.

Main thing though is enjoy! 

Oh and get yourself a good action cam for vids and good camera for obligatory photo shots :D

Look forward to seeing the post trip photos 

Thanks for the suggestions really appreciated cheers Drinky 

no problem sideways, bookings all completed now, so were stopping over at the following locations, just need to make sure we see all we need to along the routes Stirling/Inverness/Thurso/Durness/Ullapool/Skye/Oban/Stirling

• 1 month later...

We're also going in July, setting off from Edinburgh on the 10th July for 7 or 8 nights, driving up from South Yorkshire on the 9th, I'm tagging along but do have all the hotels booked if you need some pointers.

I'll be in the 81 SC and another guy will be 2.7 impact bumper.

30 minutes ago, Deano said:

We're also going in July, setting off from Edinburgh on the 10th July for 7 or 8 nights, driving up from South Yorkshire on the 9th, I'm tagging along but do have all the hotels booked if you need some pointers.

I'll be in the 81 SC and another guy will be 2.7 impact bumper.

Details below with hotels listed

Counter clockwise.

Scotland tour 2021.jpg

3 hours ago, Deano said:

Details below with hotels listed

Counter clockwise.

Scotland tour 2021.jpg

Hope you don't mind me making a suggestion. Day one from Edinburgh to Inverness, I wouldn't take the A9 unless you like busy A road/dual carriageways, with lots of HGV's. Don't get me wrong the scenery is amazing especially through the mountains after Blair Atholl, and a nice Distillery at Dalwhinnie. But it is a road to get from A-B as fast as possible. As Sidewaysfun said the Old Military road is much better.

49 minutes ago, TargaWayne said:

Hope you don't mind me making a suggestion. Day one from Edinburgh to Inverness, I wouldn't take the A9 unless you like busy A road/dual carriageways, with lots of HGV's. Don't get me wrong the scenery is amazing especially through the mountains after Blair Atholl, and a nice Distillery at Dalwhinnie. But it is a road to get from A-B as fast as possible. As Sidewaysfun said the Old Military road is much better.

Thanks for the heads up Wayne. I will take a look at the road you suggest. Cheers.