More Gearbox Woes

First proper drive since having my gearbox replaced yesterday. 170 miles covered in a mix of motorway, A road, B road and around town.

Gear change from 1st to 2nd and visa versa is great. Gear change from 3rd to 4th and visa versa is fine at moderate speeds. Engaging 5th gear is easy if, what seems a little "short". Also, 2nd to 3rd seems a little "short" as well. By this I mean there is not much lateral throw across to engage. It's not an issue, just seems different to my old 'box.

Here is where the trouble is. Quick gearchanges from 4th to 3rd or from 3rd to 4th. A few times it just would not engage at all until I had slowed right down. This presented an issue for overtakes or changing for bends at speed.

What I will say is that this seemed to present more of an issue with a warm 'box rather than cold.

Also, I noticed burned clutch smell two or three times where there was no apparent cause, ie, no obvious slipping (clutch is only 2k miles old)

Today I have checked the linkage and did the usual adjustment of the coupler which (stationary) does not appeared to have made any difference.

My next thought is clutch adjustment. Could this be the cause of the problem?

The gear change feeling "short" into 5th if I understand you correctly sounds familiar to me. The gear has engaged but the lever didn't move as far as expected? I've had this on both SCs I've owned after refitting the engine. It was just a badly adjusted shift linkage. There's a good guide I used (possibly Pelican Forum) which got me close but I made a few small adjustments after that which helped. A bit of trial and error. I'll find a link to the post. 

The burning smell can only be clutch or brakes and if your brakes are fine it's got to be the clutch. I'd check the routing of the cable and then adjustment. Also check the helper spring is fitted correctly. 

Belt and braces time but have you personally checked the fluid level in the box? 

7 minutes ago, craigt said:

The gear change feeling "short" into 5th if I understand you correctly sounds familiar to me. The gear has engaged but the lever didn't move as far as expected? I've had this on both SCs I've owned after refitting the engine. It was just a badly adjusted shift linkage. There's a good guide I used (possibly Pelican Forum) which got me close but I made a few small adjustments after that which helped. A bit of trial and error. I'll find a link to the post. 

The burning smell can only be clutch or brakes and if your brakes are fine it's got to be the clutch. I'd check the routing of the cable and then adjustment. Also check the helper spring is fitted correctly. 

Belt and braces time but have you personally checked the fluid level in the box? 

Gearbox has only done about 300 miles since being fitted (not rebuilt) and I trust that the fluid will be correct. I cannot check it myself as I don't have a suitable lift. As above, I've checked the linkage for adjustment and it is where it should be. The Pelican guide is the one I use. The UJ has new Superpro bushes and the gear stick has new bushes too.

Burning smell was deffo clutch, not brakes. I will check the clutch adjustment at the weekend. Can't do it sooner as the clutch travel measurement is a two person job.

Out of interest how much forward back play should there be at the UJ? There is some on mine but I don't think enough to affect the gear change, especially as it is fine in 1st and 2nd.

3 minutes ago, Phill said:

Gearbox has only done about 300 miles since being fitted (not rebuilt) and I trust that the fluid will be correct. I cannot check it myself as I don't have a suitable lift. As above, I've checked the linkage for adjustment and it is where it should be. The Pelican guide is the one I use. The UJ has new Superpro bushes and the gear stick has new bushes too.

Burning smell was deffo clutch, not brakes. I will check the clutch adjustment at the weekend. Can't do it sooner as the clutch travel measurement is a two person job.

Out of interest how much forward back play should there be at the UJ? There is some on mine but I don't think enough to affect the gear change, especially as it is fine in 1st and 2nd.

I don't think there should be any play in the linkage Phil. 

I assume the replacement was carried out professionally and you'll be taking it back? Definately check the clutch adjustment asap

8 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

You don’t need a lift to check the oil level Phil, just jack up the left rear and remove the wheel.  Lower the jack/car until the car is level and undo the fill plug.

Ian, I've always raised the car level using 4 axle stands to check this but your way sounds much simpler 👍

Phil, it sounds to me like you have more than one issue. 

If the clutch is slipping (assuming it wasn't before) the cable could be adjusted way too tight but this wouldn't cause shifting issues. If the clutch cable had too much slack in it, it would certainly cause shifting issue but it wouldn't slip unless it was kaput.

I've adjusted linkages a few times using the guide and it's just felt wrong. I've always had to do it a few times to get it right.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing you've sorted this at the weekend 👍

Edited by craigt

Phil, if box hasn’t been checked or rebuilt 3rd & 4th are always the week link as they are used in anger the most. Probably synchro wear. 

2 hours ago, Boydyrs said:

Phil, if box hasn’t been checked or rebuilt 3rd & 4th are always the week link as they are used in anger the most. Probably synchro wear. 

Pretty much what Mike Bainbridge said.

It's going back to my builder next weekend to be checked over.

Time for double de-clutching Phill ?

2 hours ago, PeterK said:

Time for double de-clutching Phill ?

Yes, I'll get someone to walk in front with a while flag too.

Twenty words..... Swepco is worth a go but it won't mend a broken or worn gearbox. It's good but don't expect miracles. 

• 2 weeks later...

And the verdict is..................synchro rings on third and fourth. Going back in about a month to be sorted out.

• Like 1