Bilstein dampers

AdamMJ

Hi folks, can anyone recommend an alternative damper to Bilstein for the front of an ‘81 sc? Have recently fitted Bilsteins and  they’d be fantastic for sweeping A roads and track days but too firm for the lumpy B roads in Wales! Any advice gladly received 👍🏻

I fitted firm bilsteins to mine when I tracked it a lot , it was pretty horrible round the lanes with a track setup and stiff shocks .

When  I decided I wanted a car for normal use I had the geo reset for road and fitted a new set of standard Boge shocks , the difference was night and day , new stock shocks work really well on U.K. roads , especially with a lightened car ..

Plus I sold the used billies for more or less the same price as the new Boge.. 

Thanks all - yes, I would much rather fit Boge inserts if they are softer, however, I’m not sure whether boge inserts will fit in the legs that I have - presumably the legs are different?

What did you originally have fitted in the front? I had Boge and fitted Bilstein inserts to them , the new ones were Boge/Sachs iirc

Edited by longman

It may well be worth giving Chris at Center of Gravity in Nuneaton a call. I don't know what their current arrangements are, but Chris does a wonderful job of car set up. You can of course have your Bilsteins rebuilt to whatever settings you want.

Hello, the strut legs have been painted w black underseal  so tricky to see the colour, however the dust cap at the top of the leg is bright green, but assuming that came w the new bilsteins dampers. I’m assuming they are bilstein legs so probably can’t fit Boge dampers sadly.

I wonder how much Boge legs would cost??

No, only Biilys for Billys, Boge struts about a grand each

It's been a while but I think there are several options for the front Billy inserts. Do you have the part number for the inserts you fitted?

Apologies if this comes across as patronising, but might you have fitted a harder rated option? I put Billy inserts into my boge struts on an SC I had years ago and the ride quality was fine. My current SC is a UK Sport so billies all round and I'd describe the ride as fairly soft, at least by modern standards.  

Much less hassle if you can find a softer insert for what sound to be billy struts.

Cheers,

Al.