10 year old fronts, 8 year old rears....

Chris_911

Have managed to order a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 for the rear, with a fitting date of this Thursday.

Remains to be seen whether this happens and whether I get a call to tell me they are out of stock.....

If I get the rears Ok I will buy the fronts straight after.

I’ve got the PS4S on my daily driver and they work very well on that car, many reckon they are the best tyre for that model.  But the 911 is a very different car in terms of weight distribution and it may be that other tyres work better.  Let’s see what Chris reports.

2 hours ago, Wingnonut said:

Isn't it the PS4S that are the raved about tyres rather than the standard PS4?

I've heard good things about the PS4 on the G series 911. The PS4S is only available in the larger diameters so not available for our IBs.

I hope the PS4s work well on a G model, as I ordered a set today for my SC 🤭

Micheldever Tyres

£500 fitted to bare wheels, for 225/50 & 205/55 - both 16”

Not cheap, but coming by 8th May

I have PS4’s on the front of my company daily , it’s not got much oomph but it managed to wear them out pretty quick , it did 45k on a set of Hankooks then 16k on the PS4’s , the leasing co said to fit another set , the rear Hankooks are now at 69k and still have a load of tread left

8 hours ago, longman said:

I have PS4’s on the front of my company daily , it’s not got much oomph but it managed to wear them out pretty quick , it did 45k on a set of Hankooks then 16k on the PS4’s , the leasing co said to fit another set , the rear Hankooks are now at 69k and still have a load of tread left

Tyre life isn't really one of my considerations - I'm looking to replace my current tyres not because they have worn out but because they are too old.

Interestingly both of my rear S-02s are perishing - there is cracking of the rubber in between the tread blocks in a band around both tyres (and in the same relative place on both tyres).

Different cars will treat their tyres differently, and driving style will be a factor.

I will see how I get on ;)

Age, usage, exposure to direct sunlight, etc, will all effect a tyres longevity and condition, so difficult to use objectively as a comparison.

There are lots of other good brands (Hankooks being one) which are great tyres for your everyday car and probably very capably for spirited driving as well.

You can't beat the feel through the car, and that means relying of recommendations for your model, but ultimately one has to buy and try! 

11 hours ago, Chris_911 said:

Interestingly both of my rear S-02s are perishing - there is cracking of the rubber in between the tread blocks in a band around both tyres (and in the same relative place on both tyres).

I've had the same issue with my last three sets of S-02s. The first two sets started cracking after they were around three years old but I put that down to the fact that my car lived outside on the drive all year round. For the latest set, the car has been garaged but they have still cracked around the tyre wall and tread blocks, with just over 6k miles of usage.

They are great tyres otherwise, but I think I will look to try another brand for the next set.

Same dilemma, plenty of tread but fronts are 11 years and rears 10. They’re OK but too old. Will go for Ado8r as my son can get a trade deal on a complete set of new batch ones delivered late May so I will wait until then.

interestingly he tells me that Commercial vehicles and passenger vehicles including taxis are an MOT fail if tyres are over 10 years old, and it is expected this will be applied to private cars as well in the future which tends to be the general progression down the chain.

I've got PS4s on my little BMW and they really are excellent tyres as long as it’s not icy, then they’re a handful.

Despite my anxiety the guys at the Cheltenham branch of Formula One Autocentre were brilliant.

I now have two lovely fresh Michelin Pilot Sport 4s fitted to my rear wheels - one date stamped 0321, the other 0421.IMG_4345.thumb.jpg.283f0f6204afabfda036f6f36c8aec14.jpg

IMG_4346.thumb.jpg.c40e7c1459c6c60d38bbb9b302460eba.jpg

Now I can source the fronts!

Those look lovely!

My tyres are 2012 and 2006 date codes!

They're still pretty grippy considering - and I track [other cars] a lot so I know the difference. Aiming to ditch them soon nonetheless.

A memorable incident with used A048s that were hard as leather springs to mind when I was younger and poorer.

The key thing is my car is 100% garaged in the dark and its UV that mostly degrades the tyres. It varies massively by compound too. I had old R888s with the above A048 and you could see the R888 were massively less degraded despite being the same year of manufacture.

• 3 weeks later...

PS4s ready to go on (after colour sanding)

0D4EFA61-3D39-4237-9117-568603CF933B.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...