911 sc oil sump plate nuts

Jono

Morning guys! 

I have recently brought a 911 sc 🙌🎉 

I brought it privately and the previous owner mentioned that he had a small oil leak after he personally changed the oil. 

I took a look under the car the other day and it would look like the oil is seeping through the nuts on the sump plate then collecting on a lowest part of the engine before dripping down to the floor. I’m not sure what part that it but if you look on the  close up image you can see the two droplets hanging from it. 

ive noticed on other sc images that people have washers fitted between the bolts and the sump plate, is that where he has gone wrong? 

any help would be greatly received

jono 

F989E2BA-3972-4F33-A70A-6A8B28F091AD.jpeg

885C7F4A-A6E0-433B-8A84-96FD8C4DC80F.jpeg

Edited by Jono
  • Like 1

I don't think washers would make any difference. Element of "they all do that sir" as few are completely dry. Plus those bolts are the lowest bit so any oil from anywhere will drip off them. As loads of oil is kept in the tank you could undo the drain plug, drain just the engine oil so you can remove the sump plate (paint it!) renew the gasket and add new nuts and washers. Then top up the oil with about what quantity came out and do usual level checks. Having gone that far consider draining the tank also and replacing the filter too given that the car is new to you it's peace of mind.

I would remove the sump plate, get two new gaskets, spring washers and nuts, clean all of the surfaces and check how flat the sump plate is.  The plate is thin steel and can distort, leading to seeps, weeps and leaks.  It does of course mean an oil change at the same time.

Apologies Chris I was typing mine at the same time as you

Start herehttps://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=1258325 

And you need two

2 hours ago, Lesworth said:

I also smeered some sealant very thinly on both sides of both gaskets when I replaced my sump plate. Not a drop since.

Is that a cross between a smeer and a sneer. "that'll get you, you little buggers, he thought as he smeered" :lol:;)

11 minutes ago, Phill said:

Is that a cross between a smeer and a sneer. "that'll get you, you little buggers, he thought as he smeered" :lol:;)

Or even a smear and a sneer Phil