915 shifter spring

Apologies if this has been posted before but this looks like a good, cost-effective way of adding some positive spring action to the 915 shifter.  Much cheaper than the Wevo etc......sadly!
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1053247-915-stock-shifter-improvement-spring.html

I e-mailed Karsten this morning and asked the question and got this reply:

Hi Alastair,
Thanks for reaching out! I'm asking 40€ for one spring and could ship it over to you for 9€ via registered Mail (payment via PayPal / family & friends). 
And yes, of course we could discuss a bulk price for a certain quantity - just let me know what number we're talking about and I'll get back to you!
Best
Karsten

Anyone interested in a bulk buy?

If not, I'll just order one for myself.

49€ for a spring is a lot. If it's a group buy you can add vat to that.

There must be a way of getting it made here in the UK. Order one and have it copied?

Ultimately though it's a half arsed solution to a problem that isn't really a problem.

2 minutes ago, alastair said:

So I won't put you down for one then Phil? 😉

;)

Got a feeling Karsten has just signed up so I'm sure he will weigh in......

Edited by Phill

I think if you take the time to read the posts in the link I provided you will find plenty of positive responses indicating it probably isn’t “half arsed”.  Of course you don’t have to buy one but it does seem a popular idea 

5 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

I think if you take the time to read the posts in the link I provided you will find plenty of positive responses indicating it probably isn’t “half arsed”.  Of course you don’t have to buy one but it does seem a popular idea 

I did read quite a lot and yes there are a lot of positive responses but the standard gearshift really isn't a problem is it? A nice relaxed driving style, even at speed, should result in nice year changes. Sticking a spring into a piece of precision Porsche engineering isn't my idea of progress. Wait until they start coming off or snapping and jamming the gear change.............. Don't take it personally Ian.

I am sure there are plenty of examples of worthwhile modifications to precision Porsche Engineering.

What about sticking a collar on a precision Porsche engineered cam chain tensioner?

Or fitting a Classic Retrofit fusebox and/ or CDI+ ignition?

Or fitting SSI's?

Hartech rebuild of a self-destructed M96/7 engine (for any of several reasons).

Nobody is perfect and there is often room for improvement

7 hours ago, alastair said:

I am sure there are plenty of examples of worthwhile modifications to precision Porsche Engineering.

What about sticking a collar on a precision Porsche engineered cam chain tensioner?

Or fitting a Classic Retrofit fusebox and/ or CDI+ ignition?

Or fitting SSI's?

Hartech rebuild of a self-destructed M96/7 engine (for any of several reasons).

Nobody is perfect and there is often room for improvement

I think you are confusing well engineered improvements such as Jonny's CDi and his excellent fuseboard. The fuseboard is particularly well thought out and made. SSIs are the same as the Porsche made exhaust previous to IBs and are very well made and a proven and significant improvement. Chain tensioner collars are, again, a pointless "upgrade" to a problem that doesn't really exist. Chain tensioner failure is very rare. Hartech have researched and improved the weak points of the engine much like Tuthills. It's proper, thought out, engineering which doesn't have the failure risk of a spring in a part of your car which is crucial to a safe drive. Go for it, pop it in and I'm sure you'll never worry about where your gears are again.

Or....................................................add Swepco?...............................................:steering:

• Haha 1

Going slightly off topic (but as I started it I guess I could) Matthew seems to have become a real advocate of Swepco for our 915s and it would be good to understand why.  I put Swepco in mine about 15 years and noticed no improvement in shifting, it wasn’t smoother or easier.  About five or six years ago I changed to Motul Transynd 75/90 which says it is good for hard shifting gearboxes.  I noticed an improvement, shifting seemed easier.  The problem is that there are some experienced people with much experience rebuilding boxes who suggest Swepco protects synchros, prolonging gearbox life.  So if you’re in this for the long game, Swepco appears desirable.  Maybe this should become another oil thread.......oh dear!

I think Matt is being sarcastic....

However, I put Swepco in my box a few years ago and noted an improvement but this was probably simply because it needed an oil change and anything would have been better than the old stuff that was in there.

My mechanic who fitted my recent replacement gearbox said he would only put in normal good quality oil. I don't know what he used, I'll ask, but it is certainly quieter than the old gearbox. Much of this is because the old gearbox was broken of course:lol:.

I don't think there is a definitive answer other than, like engines, regular oil changes are a good thing.

43 minutes ago, alastair said:

I guess my WEVO gate shift is a retrograde step from the Porsche precision engineered jiggly selection fork thingy.

Which is why I said “sadly” at the start.....

Just now, Ian Comerford said:

Which is why I said “sadly” at the start.....

It does look nice though

I put one of these springs in my car, and have to admit that it's excellent for what it's worth :) obviously fresh box that DBS built for mee and all new bushes makes a big difference, but the spring gives a nice firm feeling and no more "stirring the pot" feel. Well worth it IMHO. 

IMG_20210317_113300.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, lindsayhbrown said:

Alistair, did you ever buy and fit one of these springs, just wondering as my 915 is like stirring a pudding bowl

Go back to the original link, quite a few people have bought them since I posted it and seem very happy.

I got one about a month ago. Trivial to install, and in conjunction with new bushes , oil ( Motul 300 ) and adjustment the box is a lot nicer to shift and I’m very pleased with it.  

553C73A8-C179-4F38-8370-E06248594713.thumb.jpeg.557b32335819b20ad8e96b72939a3929.jpeg