Adventures in a 90's Luxury Land Yacht (LS400)

2 hours ago, Nige said:

Bet that was nearly new when you was in your twenties.

Old I am, but not that old.

The P5B (3.5 V8) was introduced in 1967, I had mine in around 1980-81

On 01/09/2021 at 19:27, johndglynn said:

There was an article in Car magazine many years ago about the LS development and how Toyota bought an S class and a 735 and took them down to the bare chassis to see how they were engineered, then built the LS slightly "better" to beat them at their own game. The article then went into how manufacturers all buy each other's products and disassemble them to see how they're built. No need to do that these days as there are so few manufacturers.

This maybe an urban myth. When Mercedes took ownership of Chrysler the bean counters said why is an E Class so much more expensive to build than a Chrysler 300C? For example the front seat costs 3x as much in the E-Class as the Chrysler. So seats were sent from the US to Germany for evaluation, where the German engineers & procurement team promptly declared after their strip down that Chrysler was paying 50% too much for their seat! 🤣

Edited by njpcarrera32
missing word

Nice purchase, know what you mean with driving slowas I was like that in my old 525 (still missing it). I remember back in the day Lexus would buy up any used car that came on the market at any cost in order to keep the used prices up as that was Mercedes strength.

• 1 month later...

This is the very same Audi A8 W12 I was so disappointed to miss out on end of last year as it was my perfect colour combo/spec., the seller sold it out from under me after we'd agreed a price, think I may have had a lucky escape

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284500723687

17 hours ago, World Citizen said:

This is the very same Audi A8 W12 I was so disappointed to miss out on end of last year as it was my perfect colour combo/spec., the seller sold it out from under me after we'd agreed a price, think I may have had a lucky escape

MMI faults very common on VAG vehicles in my experience. My A4 had two replacements under warranty at £3k a pop according to the dealer, and the fault still persisted. My Passat has an MMI fault that the dealer recognises but VAG doesn't and won't stand behind...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Slipping out under the cover of early morning darkness we dodged the Fri. PM French COVID deadline 

Travel paperwork wasn't too bad, all we needed was proof of COVID jabs, French COVID Free Declaration (pointless), negative PCR test (not cheap) 

We drove through France, Belgium, Germany, Austria and into Slovenia with no border checks. COVID security is quite tight in Slovenia, need to show proof of COVID jab and passport to get into the big shops

Of my top 5 list of '1000 Mile Drives in One Go' the Lexus made it as comfortable a trip as it can be, 21hrs of 4 up sitting in the Lexus with the boot full is a much more luxurious/relaxing way to travel than sat in a Toyota 4Runner with a smelly dog in the back and luggage piled to the roof

123030770_LexusMojstrana.thumb.jpg.d5627b59735b0b896a29281f43520f70.jpg

Our 'mini adventure' saw us visit the Lexus main dealer in Ljubljana today, front brake discs have warped to the point they really need changing, think a few too many Autobahn banzai slow downs were just too much for already well worn discs. It's booked in for new discs/pads on Christmas eve, just can't fault Lexus service!  

Last trip the Toyota 4Runner the rear prop shaft joint decided to start falling apart just outside of Calais on the outward trip, managed to nurse it for 2000 miles so we got back safely, didn't fancy doing with same with the Lexus

• Like 1

Not on the same level, but a 2010 S Class 350 diesel Bluemotion is Ulez compliant, can be picked up for between £6-11K depending on mileage, a hell of a lot of car that can be driven in London 😪!

I do love an armchair express, I owned a P5 coupe in my early twenties loved it, also had a 3.1 Capri for those drag race days along the M4, A406! 

Think the engine is the 1UZ 260BHP version, hustles along quite well when I need a sense of urgency to my drive

Driving up the 1611m high Vrsic mountain pass was like being sat in a leather sofa armchair looking at a big LCD 8K TV

617682080_thumbnail_20211222_154435(1).thumb.jpg.242525f36b8c7ce1630321739dfa8d9a.jpg

11 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Front discs and pads fitted, slows down very smoothly but all is not well with my Lexus level of reliability as it feels like a front wheel bearing is on the way out 🤔

Sorry to hear that, perhaps a result of the new brakes? or were you dong donuts in the playground carpark!

10 hours ago, World Citizen said:

More a result of 3rd world Oxfordshire roads, they are atrocious, council just fills in potholes on top of pot holes 🤬

They actually fill them! South Bucks just puts up signs saying failed road surface. Apparently this removes all liability since they've warned the motorist.

My faith in Toyota build quality has been restored :bowdown: by the oldest member of my 'splitter fleet' which has been sat idle for 3.5yrs

Fitted a new starter relay, charged the battery and it fired up on the 2nd turn over and idled perfectly. Was quite surprised considering all I did was park it up with half a tank of fuel 

Treated it to a quick bodywork polish and interior damp wipe, for a 34yr/105k mile old truck I've forgotten what fantastic condition it's in 😎

Really should get around to registering it 🤔

20211228_151052.thumb.jpg.9e9744964c0cab3b6280ff93095d0d39.jpg

20211228_151234.thumb.jpg.3001f6f30099c3faa9bc7f2745cb267b.jpg

20211228_151605.thumb.jpg.69bf1e0483f0fb0078ee390902f97742.jpg

Edited by World Citizen
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, World Citizen said:

My faith in Toyota build quality has been restored :bowdown: by the oldest member of my 'splitter fleet' which has been sat idle for 3.5yrs

Fitted a new starter relay, charged the battery and it fired up on the 2nd turn over and idled perfectly. Was quite surprised considering all I did was park it up with half a tank of fuel 

Treated it to a quick bodywork polish and interior damp wipe, for a 34yr/105k mile old truck I've forgotten what fantastic condition it's in 😎

Really should get around to registering it 🤔

20211228_151052.thumb.jpg.9e9744964c0cab3b6280ff93095d0d39.jpg

20211228_151234.thumb.jpg.3001f6f30099c3faa9bc7f2745cb267b.jpg

20211228_151605.thumb.jpg.69bf1e0483f0fb0078ee390902f97742.jpg

Just bloody marvellous, as you say over the long terms its green credentials will far outweigh those of a new EV,