What tail is this?

None of the above.

If you look at the rubber lip you can see it is much wider than most which indicates to me it is a '74 Carrera 3.0 RS type.

Use this link for the best tail round up I have seen (posted many times before, but not for a while)   https://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/tail tales.htm

Mark

• Like 1

That's a good round up, not seen it before. My fave is deffo the 74 hard edge 3.0 RS jobbie.

35 minutes ago, Phill said:

That's a good round up, not seen it before. My fave is deffo the 74 hard edge 3.0 RS jobbie.

Sleeping on the job Phil, I post it up/link it every time a newbie calls a Carrera tail a Tea Tray :cool:

Agree it's a good looking tail, but IMHO a bit too wide for a narrow body car.

Mark

Posted (edited)

As Mark says the rubber lip is much wider than any of the stock C3 tails (like mine). Definitely something more exotic. 

LOL at Mark's tail link with 'the graph' right at the top Lewis :P 😂

Mine's the blue Fiberglass with single grill & rubber lip - no AC - courtesy of young Mr Twin Tub IIRC 

👍

75-thru-77-Carreras.jpg

taileffect.jpg

Edited by GaryH

12 minutes ago, GaryH said:

taileffect.jpg

Ha ha ha - I was just thinking about that cool & rare tail you have and how much lift it reduces on your car....  

ZERO - because it doesn't move! 😘

Get it going! 

Posted (edited)

Indeed. I have detected precisely zero lift during the last decade.... 

....of garage dwelling ! :o

Edited by GaryH

@GaryH can we crowd fund getting your car going? Make a list of what you need… I’ll have a rummage in my garage, see if I have any of it lurking.

37 minutes ago, Northy said:

@GaryH can we crowd fund getting your car going? Make a list of what you need… I’ll have a rummage in my garage, see if I have any of it lurking.

And then we can meet at Gary’s for a weekend of fixing his car.  Sounds like a plan, think I’m free that weekend....

Posted (edited)

Jev's already got a one piece rear fg bumper/valance for me 👍 

Cheers Lewis (feels like the planned 'Operation Dunkirk' mission for Fred ! :lol: )

Single lock-up garage is on a steep slope so moving it out of  the garage to work on it when it's a non-runner is pretty much impossible 🤔 No power or light there either. 

Not just parts though. Rust repairs and rear chassis mounting point mods remain started but nowhere near finished. No rear light housings. Four 50-shaped tyres. Engine not turned over in a decade....... :o

Edited by GaryH

"Ran when parked"

What are the rust repairs and what is this "chassis mounting point mods" you speak of? 

As long as the engine is OK the rest are superficial (potentially apart from rust - depending on what is required). 

The complete list is probably longer than my ponytail ! seeing as after a year of lockdown I now resemble Karl Lagerfeld. 

Well, I started removing the rear impact bumper mounting plates (welded to the chassis rails) but limited access (rear wings still on) and a cordless right-angled drill do not make drilling out spot welds easy 🙄

Posted (edited)

So "what tail" ended up as "Gary's tale" which of course is much more interesting. I do not have the mechanical skills to be of much help but happy to get a bbq sorted while you guys sweat it out over and under his car.

As for the tail, got more info. It's on a 1974 911 cis with 60,000 km. It was kept in dry garage in middle east and hadn't run for 40 years till it was recently recommissioned and sold. Given its location I assume tail was factory fitted.

20210510_144821.jpg

20210510_144806.jpg

20210510_144915.jpg

20210510_144859.jpg

20210510_144836.jpg

20210510_144747.jpg

20210510_144722.jpg

Edited by Mondrian
Typo

18 hours ago, GaryH said:

As Mark says the rubber lip is much wider than any of the stock C3 tails (like mine). Definitely something more exotic. 

Mine's the blue Fiberglass with single grill & rubber lip - no AC - courtesy of young Mr Twin Tub IIRC 

👍

75-thru-77-Carreras.jpg

taileffect.jpg

Oh how I’ve missed the graphs. My day is now complete. :yahoo:Yep, the tail was off my targa. Looks good there Gary, and would be great to see the car back on the road once again. I remember well the ‘crunchy nut’ gearbox and the discussion about ratios, as we whizzed around Brands on that track day. Good times.:steering:

VT