Oops I did it again! (Porsche 912)

Busybee

In true “I really didn’t mean to do that” fashion , I’ve found myself the owner of an even earlier Porsche 912 🙈

Was sitting at my desk kind of working away and up pops a Facebook marketplace ad. Looked interesting. A polo red 1967 Porsche 912 with 94,000 miles on the clock. Left hooker. Delivered into Italy and then onto California where it spent most of its life. someone suggested a serviceman buy to take it back home. Could be. 

Car was imported by Max Levell of Revival Cars fame (the go to 912 shop in the Uk) in 2018. Poor paint and it did start. Bought by this chap and bare metal repainted. He then took it back to revival to get the mechanicals sorted. They kindly took about 8k off him without breaking open the engine. New shocks all round, new bushes, transmission bushes and mounts, brand new Webber’s, fuel pump upgrade, brakes, clutch..... So mechanically in good order and it looked pretty. 

All sounded very good. So I got chatting to the previous owner, spoke to Max etc. Dropped an offer which I thought he’d laugh at. He countered with a big drop off asking but still too much for me. Went on for a week or so and he dropped his price again (needed deposit money for a mortgage). Eventually we agreed the sale. Sh!t! 

I got some friends to drive me the 5 hours to Ashford in Kent to collect it. Soon as I saw her I loved her. Sat nicely. Looked good (but swirls all over her - washing cars wasn’t a hobby obviously - I can sort that). Little test drive. All good. Idled lovely and low, gearbox good. Clutch biting point high but that’s just a quick adjustment on the gearbox. Solid underneath. No streams of oil.

Paid the man and jumped in to drive home. 5 hours in a 54 year old car that I didn’t know along some of the busiest roads in the UK in sometimes torrential rain. Jesus I really must be mad!

Didn’t miss a beat. I had toasty feet, wipers worked, all lights indicators etc. No stereo so I had my phone on the go. Stopped for food and fuel and that was it. Cruised at 65/75 without issue. Result! 

My admiration for the 912 grows. It’s not a fast car. It’s just a cool old car. People slowed to look at her. Thumbs up, waves, photos. Made the journey a lot of fun. It’s the perfect counter to a balls out 911. A Sunday cruiser. 

Say hello to Ruby. 

CC9E301B-AEAE-43DC-944F-7F3D2EFA524B.jpeg

593BF412-D12D-4D1D-8B7B-71E15B94AE84.jpeg

2311639C-2AD2-4CD6-A58B-5E1483806BF5.jpeg

076A192E-A5DE-4652-A3D1-2205C36D3DC7.jpeg

E298D34F-E864-478A-922F-19E7E90194F4.jpeg

4005A70B-1CCF-4523-BBBE-E277AA63C4BA.jpeg

63A70713-E0AC-4275-8B4E-4FA7ACBAADCB.jpeg

F5D590AB-2A01-4A5C-9DC2-4540A38F0503.jpeg

24E08CBC-9111-4CBD-A1D2-9E2F6ECF32E7.jpeg

A90BA71C-5172-4488-A5A6-D2F4E2DC4B4C.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Nothing. This one wasn’t supposed to happen. Good seeing you Tuesday. Hope you and “the firm” had a fun day. 

Likewise, great day, good drive down, I must admit those Sypder's look really good in the flesh, your Black and red interior is the dog's do do's 

11 minutes ago, Beaky said:

Likewise, great day, good drive down, I must admit those Sypder's look really good in the flesh, your Black and red interior is the dog's do do's 

Glad you enjoyed. Fun weekend and we had the weather just right Tuesday. Caught a shower going home near Bristol. 
Thanks. Love the Spyder 👍

1 hour ago, GrahamTompkins said:

Nice acquisition to the collection.You are obviously going backwards wisely swerving the 2.7 RS so I guess a 356 next? 

Cheers Graham. Beetle next! 😂

1 hour ago, fat fuchs said:

Nice looking car Haith in one of my favourite colours. Good work.

Cheers

FF

Cheers bud 👍

6 minutes ago, Type911 said:

Nice one young man, is the green one up for sale now?

Thank you Matt. She was a bit of a find. 

Funnily enough, already had a couple of people ask after the green one. In truth I’ve no idea what she’s worth now she’s running and popping along happily. 

2 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

What a splendid looking car Haith, must be quite a contrast to Daisy, I mean that in a good way!

Thanks Stephen. Appreciated.
She sure is. Different world in a nice way. Love the contrast. 

11 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

what a nice looking little car, looks almost sweet, a museum piece. Nice buy Haith :cool:

Thanks Mark. It does have a totally different character to a 911. Kinda soft and cute. And you definitely feel like you're stepping back in time in the cockpit. My only concession to modernity is a bluetooth hidden speaker so I can listen to the Dire Straits on the move lol 

When I got my 912e years ago I test drove a few earlier 912s and the VW 'relation' was so apparent especially compared to my Karmann Ghia that I was moving on from.

56 minutes ago, Nige said:

When I got my 912e years ago I test drove a few earlier 912s and the VW 'relation' was so apparent especially compared to my Karmann Ghia that I was moving on from.

I like to think of it as a 356 connection 😜

5 minutes ago, Fred said:

Looks great! When do you plan to fit a proper engine in!!??? Lol

Thanks. 90hp when new. What’s not to like. 😂

Gotta remember that the 912 had a very similar power to weight to its 911 contemporary. 

1 minute ago, Beaky said:

So when is the 356 coming (outlaw version) and do you need to make room for it :whistling:

When I win the lottery I’ll commission Rod Emory for one. Until then it’s the modern kit for me 😂

• Like 1

• johndglynn changed the title to Oops I did it again! (Porsche 912)