Could be back on the bike soon.

Hi Folks,

I could soon be back in an IB, have been looking hard for something down here to replace the 74 I shouldn't have sold just before Covid hit.

Had bought the Cayman 981 S, loved it but just not the same so sold it and started hunting, now I'm not sure what you guys are experiencing there but here prices have lost the plot for G bodied cars. Originally I sold my 74 for AUD$80k some 18 months ago (I thought that was quite a lot but it is a good car), around that time average SCs would have been $85-95k and 3.2s $95-110k (Aust delivered cars). Now I would have to pay $135k to get my 74 back (I tried but no deal), SCs and 3.2s now range between $140-185K and you would still have to cross your fingers that nothing major needed doing (just because they are now more expensive doesn't mean they're any better!)

I spotted one 82 SC for sale at $99k, Hong Kong delivered car, low kms but knackered gearbox and exhaust, missing half the aircon, non original ignition, really in need of some love (most likely an engine rebuild too) but rust free, non sunroof (personal fav), dark metallic blue and blue interior. I spoke with the owner, he's in Canberra so I couldn't nip round and check out the car so he gave me his mechanics number so I could get a feel for the condition. After talking to the mechanic I made the owner an offer for the car a bit less than the $99k considering what needed to be done, while I had been talking to the mechanic he had raised the price of the car to $120k so wasn't interested in the offer so that was that.
I had been discussing with my mechanic what the state of the market was over east (the majority of the cars are there), it's pretty much a different country to the west, and he agreed they had all gone mad. He said just wait and we'll see what might turn up here and it may have. He called yesterday to say that a customer he hadn't seen for a while dropped in to talk about selling his 79 SC, it is a LHD converted to RHD car but that conversion was done correctly and the car is rust free and straight, black with black interior. Needs an engine rebuild now but would he would take $65k for it as is, I pretty much said I'll take the car right there but will be going to the workshop this Wednesday to check it over, cash at the ready.

Will let you all know Thursday how it went,

Cheers, Phil

Sounds like the market for IB's has taken off since you sold yours! Good luck with the purchase of a new one.

Regards

Ian

Saw the car yesterday, it's ok for the money but wouldn't want to pay any more as there is a bit to sort. However current owner is now contemplating getting the engine done and keeping it, but will let me know soon (hopefully tonight). 
I do have a plan B lined up but would have to move quick on that as anything half decent isn't hanging around. 

Jeez, maybe we should be shipping our cars out to Oz to sell......

Not sure how the numbers would stack up, but could you not source one from the UK (probably a bigger choice) and ship it over?

I had a quick look earlier. Shipping about £700, tax 10% of purchase price, no import duty as a classic car. Seems like it would work.

Everyone here is scared of the UK cars over rust issues so get hammered on value, generally at same market value as LHD to RHD converted cars from USA or Japan at best.

Plan A is all go, buying the Black SC.
Paid deposit and when I get back from the NZ trip in a few weeks we'll roll her down the hill from Kalamunda to my mechanics workshop and start work. Immediate work is motor rebuild, some tidying up of the body and a new set of wheels and tyres.

I can relax now, was a bit stressful being IBless.

Will start a page in SCs for her to record progress.

• 1 month later...

Progressing with work on the new car and lining up all the bits needed, going to get some carpet bits done, looking at Lakewell for that but am requesting some custom changes.

Has anyone dealt with them and asked for a few mods?

Their work looks very good to me and the price seems right for that level of finish, was going to do my own as I've done before, but being a sailmaker I appreciate  what goes into this and think it would be quicker and cost efficient (not to mention less stress) to order from them, looking at new front seat upholstery too.

Cheers,

Phil