Insurer for young drivers

I'd like to put my 27 year old son on the Porsche policy.

Any recommendations on good insurers who can quote for this? I asked my existing insurer ClassicLine a couple of years ago and I think they told me not under 30 year old.

Richard

I thought classic car policies were 25 years and over. Perhaps they differ depending on car. Worth calling around. Have you tried the normal GoCompare, just for a laugh?

Edited by Phill

36 minutes ago, Phill said:

I thought classic car policies were 25 years and over. Perhaps they differ depending on car. Worth calling around. Have you tried the normal GoCompare, just for a laugh?

Yes, just tried GoCompare. Came up with Admiral at £287 pa.

11 minutes ago, RichD1 said:

Yes, just tried GoCompare. Came up with Admiral at £287 pa.

That sounds pretty good to me! No agreed value though.............

Does he have any prior experience of powerful/sports cars etc? I got my 911 when I was 28 and was able to insure through Lockton I think. They mentioned that the underwriter was happy to insure me due to past history of owning powerful cars, but didn't usually insure under 30 year olds. Could be worth mentioning if he has experience? 

That's a good point. I added my son to my policy now that he's 25. They said if he was 30 no issue and no additional cost. As he is 25 and has no prior experience of a sports / performance car the underwriter agreed that for this yes he can drive the 924 only with me as a passenger. next year he will be permitted to drive the 924 on his own and the 911 with me as a passenger. the year after he'll be able to drive either on his own. I actually really like their attitude with this. Its a very safe and logical approach.

6 hours ago, Lesworth said:

That's a good point. I added my son to my policy now that he's 25. They said if he was 30 no issue and no additional cost. As he is 25 and has no prior experience of a sports / performance car the underwriter agreed that for this yes he can drive the 924 only with me as a passenger. next year he will be permitted to drive the 924 on his own and the 911 with me as a passenger. the year after he'll be able to drive either on his own. I actually really like their attitude with this. Its a very safe and logical approach.

Valid comments Les, when I added my son at 27 to my 3.2, I did have to do a heavy sell on his experience. I had also added him on a temporary basis when I had previously  broken my wrist so perhaps that helped.