Potential new venture - Porsche themed clothing

Hi everyone, 

Been approached by a French company who has done some work for me in the past to take on the distribution of their range of apparels for the UK.
The owner is a Porsche fanatic (as you will see below with the items they make) and the quality of their stuff is really good (not cheap fabric and proper printing / embroidery) so price is obviously not ''cheap'' (then again when looking at what is out there on the market it doesn't seem unreasonable).

I am in two minds about it and having checked with our Sheriff before putting it out on the forum, this post is basically a sounding board to see if there would be any interest from people on here. If there is I will look into it further with a dedicated website for people to order, getting stock in etc etc but not going to embark on this one if the response is not positive (apart from the financial outlay to get stock etc etc, the time commitment it will take to make it a success is my main concern).

So here we go for some of the range that I would take on (they do more but I will only do the Porsche related stuff).

Small sleeves polo shirts (240g, printed and embroidered). These would retail at around £65.

2007226853_catalogclubporscheUK1.thumb.JPG.f6bd7bf27f449e5bcb437bd9fdd4663a.JPG

177095736_catalogclubporscheUK2.thumb.jpg.a682c78e7969178db420dc82b430488a.jpg

Long Sleeves Polo, again 240g, Printed and Embroidered : Around £65.

309189750_catalogclubporscheUK3.thumb.jpg.665ac1d069febc1387a0fc9438692d50.jpg

xbandeau_1.png.pagespeed.ic.sJXssRg6eZ.w

So what do you guys think ? Any interest ? (could even probably get it sorted in time for Father's day LOL).

Feedback greatly appreciated 

Thanks

Franck

They look a bit too much like football shirts to me. I'm sure this is subjective but I wouldn't pay £65 for a polo shirt. Sorry to be negative.

Looks cool but appart that on an f1 track, I have never really seen anyone wearing shirts or other items related to a car brand. Very narrow market. 

42 minutes ago, Phill said:

They look a bit too much like football shirts to me. I'm sure this is subjective but I wouldn't pay £65 for a polo shirt. Sorry to be negative.

Not negative Phill, I am asking for feedback as need to gauge people 😉 

I’m probably outside of the target market but I’m out also.

Expensive, and especially for something with such limited opportunity to wear.

Sorry, but you did ask

I have to say I think they’re alright & a little different / individual. They’re very ‘retro’ which is all the rage at the moment. I think they do have a fairly narrow market audience though (typically slightly older classic car buffs). I would probably wear one on an appropriate occasion, especially if they are superior quality. I do like a polo that lasts a good few years!!

I agree with what Fleety says. I used to wear a fair bit of this sort of thing ("race chic" polos) but seem to have stopped now - perhaps getting too old. I like the blue one in the first pic though

Sorry, a no from me, nothing in particular, just not keen on the look, they're a bit golf wear trying to hard

On the flip side, my teenage son thinks they are very cool but a tad expensive, £50ish would make them more appealing

36 minutes ago, sladey said:

I agree with what Fleety says. I used to wear a fair bit of this sort of thing ("race chic" polos).

Ditto, I do like polo shirts, both plain and themed. The Firm London gets one printed each time to go to Le Mans!  l’d also suggest Rugby shirts as opposed to long sleeve polo’s. Price is on the tad high side, as an example a Superdry polo shirt is around the £40 mark. Is there anything  for the ladies, that opens up more scope. I’d be very wary of a model where you buy stock up front, drop ship is the right model, but margins are far less.

Also and this is just me, sometimes less is more, so perhaps better without the logos on the sleeves 

I find these pseudo racing shirts a bit much as well, sorry Franck. 

By contrast, I’ve previously bought a few shirts from this guy: https://www.dvmechanics.com/products/long-sleeve-shirt

Just simple black long sleeved shirts. Good quality and wash well. He’s a cool cat; previously worked for NASA and early days at Singer. 

Hope that helps 👍

Gotta remember most of us on here are in or about to enter the beige period of our lives.  Slip on Hush Puppies, elasticated waists and coach trip holidays.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like the idea and thought of good quality. However this is something I wouldn't wear, I do wear polo shirts but for me the designs are too busy and tbh I think there is a stigma of driving a Porsche and then wearing the same branded clothing. In the same way I wouldn't get a Porsche sports bag. From my experience of watching footage of YouTube I think these would go down well in the American Cars and Coffee culture.

being someone heavily into motorsport both old and new, and a regular track side both here and abroad, I like them. I would have the 917 hippie and the red Salzburg polos straight off the bat :)  I would say they are about a tenner overpriced but then most motorsport apparel is overpriced. I get what some say about wearing them in everyday situations but if you go to big events like Le Mans, CLM or Spa classic nearly everyone is in motorsport themed clobber. Even for our roadtrips  or trackdays (remember them?) many will sport the odd Porsche/race themed t-shirt. Being good quality is a big plus :) 

2 hours ago, Nige said:

Gotta remember most of us on here are in or about to enter the beige period of our lives.  Slip on Hush Puppies, elasticated waists and coach trip holidays.

OMG! If that's the case, kill me now! :lol:

Like em. I'd go peppa pig and Martini straight away. All nice colours to be honest and not too much on the graphics side.

Bit pricey though. Reckon if you could still make money at £45 a polo, you'd shift a few but that's a big drop and no idea what the margins are on clothes. 

Posted (edited)

Not something I would go for I'm afraid - most of the 'themed' shirts I have get left in the wardrobe. I wouldn't wear a Porsche themed shirt while driving one (almost  - always take my IB shirt to Le Mans!) - just a step too far for me.  I also agree they seem pricey for what they are but I'm also out of touch with fashion costs!

Like the shirts in Northy's link though!

Off topic but this looks nice on that site https://www.dvmechanics.com/1965-giulia-sprint-gt-1

Edited by Roy M

4 hours ago, Nige said:

Have a word with yerself Nige! I'm currently shopping this! 😂

Biggus T.jpg

• Haha 1

Often wore my Porsche, McLaren and occasionally 'Born in Sant' Agata' Lamborghini t-shirt under my jumper while working at Ferrari as their stuff was cheap tat

On those days I felt like Clark Kent but also felt like an idiot when it got really scorchio 😰 as I couldn't then take my jumper off 😜

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Phill said:

Does the DV stand for domestic violence? Probably not what you want emblazoned across your chest.

Deo Volente - god willing. You won't get far in the Civil Service if you don't keep up with your Latin!

3 minutes ago, Roy M said:

Deo Volente - god willing. You won't get far in the Civil Service if you don't keep up with your Latin!

Recte Vos 😁

• Like 1

By way of a contrast, how many of us purchased IB T-shirts and would again? I certainly would!

It was and still is (its a bit threadbare as they say) one of my favourite T-shirts and much admired by others over the years.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Beaky said:

By way of a contrast, how many of us purchased IB T-shirts and would again? I certainly would!

It was and still is (its a bit threadbare as they say) one of my favourite T-shirts and much admired by others over the years.

Never had one :cry: Would love a couple or three. What do you say @johndglynn

• Like 1